Needs to Improve the Work Environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Contribute to a biotechnology organization that contributes to Life Science by developing innovative leading edge technologies.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance, lack of teamwork, lack of individual recognition at the department level, and needs to promote respect and integrity within the organization.

Develop a work/life balance program, promote teamwork, respect, and integrity with the organization. In addition, at the department level, promote recognition for stellar performance.

Other Reviews for Illumina

It depends on where you work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

At Illumina, you will work with and be one of many smart people advancing science and medicine. At the end of the day, that feels great.

Cons

As with any environment, office politics can be tough.

Be more flexible -- consider telecommuting, flextime, and other work/life balance programs.

The experience still haunts me sometimes.

Former Employee - Not Applicable  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Not Applicable in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a progressive company which issue shares to tie you into your role. So you can see how much effort you put in to how the company grows. In this respect, it gives you a sense of achievement overall. It is also one of those "life time opportunity" to be within a technologically forefront company. When I left university, I aspired to be in such a company. I came into this company mid-way through my career. There was a semi-friendly culture, but it conflicts with one's loyalty as the organisational chart kept changing.

Cons

The turnover rate was quite high. As I joined after the merger, and there was a period of respect between all colleagues, until you start to see individuals being taken out of the running. Then some kind of culling occurred for some reason. I was also caught up in the political organisational changes, such that I felt very marginalised, and also disrespected. I also realised that my contribution within those long email chains, often advices or trialed and tested solutions that came from years of experience from my side, was then taken as some kind of new ideas or achievement on the US side. It often were from the sales team who were more aggressive and came across as running the company to be honest ! It really was about US HQ, and no actual understanding of contribution on the Europe side at all. People got more annoyed as their contributions were not acknowledged and skillsets were stripped away. Or rather, "copied" away. It is one thing if you made clear who was in a project and who was not. But when the boundaries are so undefined, then yes, it seems almost like setting up the employee to fail.

I like you to know that, you managed to take away some of the very well respected managers who grew the original small companies before the big merger. That was a very big mistake. You potentially had some of the very wise and solid professionals who stood strong in this industry and ensured the security of the company, and you let this be mismanaged away by some very disrespectful and arrogant, and untrained under mid-30s professionals. Some of approaches used were even unlawful !

I was surprised to find out that another colleague also took out a loan to supplement actual business trips to sell the products, and we are still in debt due to this. The salary was unjustified. Looking back in hindsight on Glassdoor here allowed me to see how naive some of us were in reality. You did not even look after the basics right. Allowing employees the most basic tools, without impacting their own personal and financial statuses.

Also, you overworked your operations staff such that, I saw one woman fainting because of meeting your quarterly goals. Please ask yourself whether you are a true ethical company or not. Because if you were, then the ethical aspect starts on the inside, and that also mean following the employment laws ! Working under a set number of hours and no more, and bringing in health and safety laws too without burning out your own employees. Instead of perfecting some of the needed basics to keep employee happy and healthy in a steady way, the emphasis were put on the bottomline.

I would also check the ethics and the professionalism of some of your senior IT managers. As I understand that a few of them joined and migrated from another bio-tech company. Yet, I saw one male manager who was absolutely unprofessional and harassed a young intern verbally, such to a high extent that, he rechallenged him back with a knife ! This was during a company meal,on an off site support trip. What kind of people are you hiring ? This is not the kind of company that I want to work for. And yes, this same high level Director just saw Jay as a face of the company and no more. Well, at least I believed in science, and I believe in what Jay say ! There is a huge difference between those who are from science backgrounds and believe in the company to those who just want the prestige and the title or the money.

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!