Illumina

www.illumina.com
  www.illumina.com
There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Dysfunctional and Proud of It!!

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus, iCafe, company parties are fun, stock is going up, some nice people

Cons

If you love working then this is the place for you because you'll be here morning, noon, and night. La Jolla in the dark will become a very familiar sight. It's not just the aggressive schedules that will keep you at work. A good part of the work will be created by the overall lack of planning of the projects that you'll work on. This is kind of amazing since Illumina is filled to rafters with middle managers. I guess they spend so much time falling over each other that they don't have time to manage anything.

The cherry on top of all of this is that your hard work is unlikely to be rewarded. Illumina makes no bones about the fact that it will not give internal candidates preference in hiring for open positions. It's quite frustrating to see external job postings for positions that you (and likely many of your colleagues) are qualified for. The best strategy for advancement at Illumina is to do good work, leave for a few years, and then come back at a higher level.

156 Other Employee Reviews for Illumina (View Most Recent)

Not great

Current Employee - Technical Applications Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Applications Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cafeteria, RSU (stock), company is doing very well

Cons

Schedules are unrealistic, work/life balance suffers greatly, bloated middle management that slows everything down, lots of silos, and a growing number of people who don't seem to have a clear function in the organization

Illumina should be one of the best places in San Diego to work. It's not.

A Veterans perspective.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facility.
    Some good perks all around.
    Fair PTO system.
    Good benefits package.

Cons

After serving over 12 years in the US Military I landed a position with Illumina at first all seemed good the facility is very large and the benefits were great for a family person like me. I was glad to be a part of such a large organization because typically that’s good for career growth from within.
    Later as a prior service member who was in a leadership position I noticed that at almost every level they have no leadership per say, they rule by committee & political alliances. If you find yourself inside certain circles you will be fine; but if you’re out of the circles you may as well start looking for a new job.
    I felt certain mid-level managers saw me as a threat to their positions due in part to my experience in leadership and my technical ability and went after me. They kept it legal and the HR was of no help at all this stopping this harassment so I gave my notice, in my exit interview HR did not want to hear me and just kept repeating “prerogative” like a parrot.
    I cannot and will not recommend anyone working at this place especially mid-level career people because they will suffer the most while a person fresh out of college may be able to stand it.
    *This Company if not illegal certainly is an unethical company.

None- but one day this behavior will bite you in the end.

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina