Front line Soldier

Current Employee - Marketing
Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing Technology, Innovator, Market Disruptor, Great San Diego campus

Cons

Just read the Glassdoor criticisms -- they are mostly legitimate. But Illumina is still a young company and is going through expected growing pains.

Advice to Management

Hire the best and let your employees take you to the next level. Matt is the real leader of the future. Most want to work for him because he hires the best, lets them do their jobs, and provides the vision and support they need. Too many executives are obsessed with not losing their jobs and pleasing Jay. Start promoting more of us into senior management and move over.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Treat Employees Poorly

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Illumina's stock price has been rapidly increasing the last ten years. They are well placed in the sequencing market and have an opportunity to lead the diagnostic sequencing market for years to come.

Cons

Illumina asks a lot from employees and offers very little in return. Illumina's stock price has done very well over the past few years which allows management to neglect all other aspects of compensation. As long as the stock price continues to rise upper management will be able to get away with mistreating their employees. A lot of good people have recently left.

Advice to Management

Not everyone cares about stock options.

The grass is not always greener

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the largest and fastest growing companies in San Diego.

Competitive pay and benefits

Innovative products

Cons

I have worked for several biotech companies as a territory manager and sales rep previously. Coming from smaller and medium sized biotechs in the past. I thought I had hit the jackpot with securing a position with Illumina. One of the largest and fastest growing companies in San Diego. Well, the grass is not always greener on the other side. It was the worst sales position and career move that I had chosen. My biotech lab and sales career has been long and really rewarding. Being in sales, I am a people person. I can relate to a very wide demographic of people. Yet, Illumina's company, culture and vibe was just a disconnect for me. It never really felt like a community or even welcoming to me. All the other companies that I worked for, there was transparency and cross departmental collaboration. At Illumina, it was like pulling teeth to get any assistance from marketing, product managers, technical support, customer service, fulfillment, and logistics. Nobody ever wanted to help each other. Each department seemed to be against each other. Never felt a collaborative effort. It was a very self serving or self preservation type of company culture. I guess it is understandable when I saw some colleagues fired out of the blue. If you see something like that, you probably want to keep very busy and your head down. As many other reviews here, I would have to agree that upper management has a deficiency in leading and growing this company.

The sales teams were made mostly from people that have no science or biotech experience at all. How can your front line representatives sell an instrument when they have never worked in a lab or have zero understanding of the up or downstream processes that the instrument is going to fit into. There was one week of training but it was more like them turning on a fire hose. Trying to cram everything into one week. Online self training was also idiotic. Those that did not have previous scientific or biotech industry background didn't have a chance.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced and educated sales professionals.

Protect your employees first. Use layoffs as a last resort effort vs. a tool to protect your job because you missed an earnings call.

There is probably no right way to lay people off but CEO Jay and upper management, please don't joke, smile and shake employees hands as you lead them into a corporate layoff meeting.