There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Okay but could be better - Could be just growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Excellent technology, friendly employees, work environment is okay. I've seen worse and I've seen better. This company has grown by leaps and bounds in the 3 years I've worked here. You are able to interact with multiple departments and learn about what makes a business successful and not successful. I've seen attempts to properly manage the growth, but we've still got a long way to go.

Cons

Work life balance has not really improved. Even with all the new people that are hired. I think this has to do with the fact that Illumina has not effectively utilized technology to manage the growth. For example the HR and IT department is almost non-existent. I've never seen a company this large with such a poor internal operations infrastructure. Also, management is not at experienced as I've seen at other global companies. The folks that do the everyday work struggle to complete tasks without the necessary tools and without management support.

Let's just say that you work so hard for several years and you love what the company stands for, but it is a thankless job. Your salary is low and you are not able to take vacation when you want to. You do indeed work 24/7. No feedback or thanks from management and little guidance.

reviews filtered by

Non-work life takes a beating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Mostly smart, competent, and friendly people.
    Leading-edge technology.

Cons

Depending on who your manager is, your work life can be a dream or a nightmare. Regardless, overtime is commonplace. You may think your initial job offer is fair or even generous - but be aware there is a price to pay - namely quality time with your real family.

Implement anonymous peer reviews

Peter Principle

Current Employee - Manufacturing Department in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Department in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Steady work
    Steady Pay
    Nice cafe

Cons

Lack of job growth.
    Very Political place to work

Mid - level management needs a baby sitter.

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina