There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

This company eats its young

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Exciting products. Very cutting edge technology. Growth of the company within the last few years.

Cons

Lack of infrastructure. Middle management is the poorest I've ever worked with. The organization is top heavy. Feels like organizations and managers assigned are just to experiment. Horrible prospects for advancing and no growth opportunities within many groups. Expect employees to work until they burnout.

Advice to Management

Really think about who you have at the helm as middle managers. Most do not have adequate management experience and your employees should not have to suffer. Create an initiative within the entire company to have career progression within each department. Politics have taken over this place due to the lack of experienced managers that know how to lead and mentor. If you had good middle managers there would be less burnout as the managers should be able to get resources and move resources around effectively. Just want to say the executive team is great and so is Jay, but please take a very close look at the middle managers.

reviews filtered by

Good people, questionable job satisfaction

Current Employee - Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Flexible Hours (you can come in whenever you want as long as you get 40-50 hrs a week)
    As many overtime hours as you can stand to do
    Genuinely good hearted, down to earth people who work here
    Diverse employee group (both racially and age-wise)
    Good in-house cafe
    Higher-ups with occasionally buy us lunch

Cons

3/4 of the workforce are "temps," which allows the company to hire us for 40-50 hours a week without benefits, so no paid time off, no vacation, no sick days
    Typical corporate culture (i.e. culture-less workplace)
    Production process an environmental disaster (tons of trash with minimal recycling program)
    Job involves starting at a computer screen about 90% of the time
    Job nature is pretty boring - assembly line type atmosphere with 0 creativity involved
    Mostly a solo job - you work in solitude most of the time
    Poor gender ratio is bad for everyone! (10 to 1 guy to girl ratio in my department)

Advice to Management

Stop treating your manufacturing floor employees like unimportant temp workers! We work our asses off to make the machines which make you millions of dollars, you could at least hire us on with benfits! The "economic downturn" is no excuse for unethical hiring and unfair compensation. Allow us to choose our own vacation time - don't ask us to work the weekend to "make the numbers," and then force us to take off a full week for christmas when we dont get paid for it! I dont even celebrate christmas!

Okay but could be better - Could be just growing pains

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Excellent technology, friendly employees, work environment is okay. I've seen worse and I've seen better. This company has grown by leaps and bounds in the 3 years I've worked here. You are able to interact with multiple departments and learn about what makes a business successful and not successful. I've seen attempts to properly manage the growth, but we've still got a long way to go.

Cons

Work life balance has not really improved. Even with all the new people that are hired. I think this has to do with the fact that Illumina has not effectively utilized technology to manage the growth. For example the HR and IT department is almost non-existent. I've never seen a company this large with such a poor internal operations infrastructure. Also, management is not at experienced as I've seen at other global companies. The folks that do the everyday work struggle to complete tasks without the necessary tools and without management support.

Advice to Management

Let's just say that you work so hard for several years and you love what the company stands for, but it is a thankless job. Your salary is low and you are not able to take vacation when you want to. You do indeed work 24/7. No feedback or thanks from management and little guidance.