Illumina

www.illumina.com

Illumina is a great Culture and environment to work in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Company culture, great products, market driven

Cons

The company is increasing in size and thus bureaucracy and red tape.

Illumina has effective leadership that is able to keep ahead of it's competitors,

Other reviews for Illumina

This company eats its young

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Exciting products. Very cutting edge technology. Growth of the company within the last few years.

Cons

Lack of infrastructure. Middle management is the poorest I've ever worked with. The organization is top heavy. Feels like organizations and managers assigned are just to experiment. Horrible prospects for advancing and no growth opportunities within many groups. Expect employees to work until they burnout.

Really think about who you have at the helm as middle managers. Most do not have adequate management experience and your employees should not have to suffer. Create an initiative within the entire company to have career progression within each department. Politics have taken over this place due to the lack of experienced managers that know how to lead and mentor. If you had good middle managers there would be less burnout as the managers should be able to get resources and move resources around effectively. Just want to say the executive team is great and so is Jay, but please take a very close look at the middle managers.

Good people, questionable job satisfaction

Current Employee - Technician  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in San Diego, CA

Pros

Flexible Hours (you can come in whenever you want as long as you get 40-50 hrs a week)
    As many overtime hours as you can stand to do
    Genuinely good hearted, down to earth people who work here
    Diverse employee group (both racially and age-wise)
    Good in-house cafe
    Higher-ups with occasionally buy us lunch

Cons

3/4 of the workforce are "temps," which allows the company to hire us for 40-50 hours a week without benefits, so no paid time off, no vacation, no sick days
    Typical corporate culture (i.e. culture-less workplace)
    Production process an environmental disaster (tons of trash with minimal recycling program)
    Job involves starting at a computer screen about 90% of the time
    Job nature is pretty boring - assembly line type atmosphere with 0 creativity involved
    Mostly a solo job - you work in solitude most of the time
    Poor gender ratio is bad for everyone! (10 to 1 guy to girl ratio in my department)

Stop treating your manufacturing floor employees like unimportant temp workers! We work our asses off to make the machines which make you millions of dollars, you could at least hire us on with benfits! The "economic downturn" is no excuse for unethical hiring and unfair compensation. Allow us to choose our own vacation time - don't ask us to work the weekend to "make the numbers," and then force us to take off a full week for christmas when we dont get paid for it! I dont even celebrate christmas!

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!