There are newer employer reviews for Immersion Corporation

Not recommended if you have other options.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Immersion Corporation

Pros

They have some of the coolest technology and demo kits in the industry.

Cons

Although the company is small, it has the feeling of a 'big' company culture. The new CEO is a first time CEO, who obviously is going through his learning curve now.

Advice to Management

Open up the company culture. Maximize information sharing among departments.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It's a mixed bag at Immersion Medical

I worked at Immersion Corporation

Pros

The products are very cool and fun to work on, the big picture objective of improving medical training is one that makes it easier to come to work on Mondays. Because it's a small company, there are lots of opportunities to work on things outside your official job title. The overall compensation package is pretty good for a small company. Many of the individual contributors and middle management are smart, dedicated employees who really care about the projects and people working on them.

Cons

Senior management is new and treats the employees like commodities. As of early 2009 they are laying off lots of people, including many valuable contributors. The long term planning seems non-existent.

Advice to Management

Do a better job training / mentoring your existing employees prior to terminating them. You have shed a lot of great talent since Clent came on board. Spend more time on long range planning and communicating those plans to the employees. Start making more decisions based on the long range goals of the company rather than quarter to quarter.

2. Best company I've ever worked at!

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Immersion has been sort of a dream-come-true. First of all I work on haptic technology, which is to bring the sense of touch to our digital world, which is really cool. Haptics is a hot topic right now, which makes working at Immersion very interesting. Our customers are big name OEMs (e.g. Samsung), which makes the work challenging and exciting. To top it off, Immersion feels like a startup company in a good way, meaning the Engineering department is relatively small (40 people or so) spread across two geographies (San Jose & Montreal). The engineers are split in smaller sub-teams of 3-4 developers + 1 QA and a technical lead. Each team is fairly independent and follows the Agile process quite closely. Finally the compensation is I would say quite competitive in the industry, with great benefits, a bonus program that pays every 6-months, stock-based compensation ended out annually, and an employee stock purchase program that allows you to buy IMMR stock with a rebate.

One of the best confirmation that Immersion is a great company to work at is by looking at the number of employees that have been there for 5+ years. I would say it's almost half of the employees, with some having been there for up to 15 years. In the IT industry, that's almost unheard of!

Cons

Sometimes it feels that we could double the size of the engineering department and yet there would still be things we wouldn't be able to do based on resources. This means that our PMs have to make very hard decisions about what we should be focusing on, and what work we postpone for later.