InMotion Hosting

www.inmotionhosting.com
  www.inmotionhosting.com
There are newer employer reviews for InMotion Hosting

InMotion Hosting - to work or not to work, that is the question.

Former Employee - Tier I Support Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
Former Employee - Tier I Support Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting

Pros

Wiki providing knowledge on how to handle Tier II and System Admin positions available for everyone. It's still very small as well which is nice. Free lunch Tuesdays and free food when everyone gets overwhelmed with work on other days. Ability to customize your computer layout however you'd like or even use Linux instead of Windows.

Cons

They do not pay very well compared to similar, less stressful jobs. Because they are small, there is a lot for everyone to handle. A lot of problems with their interface and hosting that cause repetitive calls from customers that can easily be fixed. However, they refuse to focus on those issues and instead add other things that cause even more problems. Thirty minute lunches don't give enough time to relax from the stressful environment or even properly eat your food. You have to wait till you obtain Tier II for an hour lunch.

If you want to keep your employees happy, please pay them a little more. Also, you may want to focus more on employee health as it's a very unhealthy environment. Bonuses for going to the gym? Try and get employees to go for walks on breaks.

19 Other Employee Reviews for InMotion Hosting (View Most Recent)

Great company culture, but workload is extremely stressful.

I worked at InMotion Hosting (less than an year)

Pros

Casual dress, company culture, flexible hours, free lunch Tuesdays, stocked pantry, bonuses are real if you can hit the goals or get lucky in the monthly drawing.

Cons

Working in the tech support department is very stressful. I often found myself in one of the following situations: a) dealing with a flood of contacts during a server outage or hacker attack, b) stuck on the phone or chat with a customer who either had a complex problem that can't be solved in 5 minutes or wanted more help than most people, thereby reducing my Contacts Per Hour rating. I've worked in retail and tech support for a while, so I understand that there are many customers who really do waste your time and expect you to do every little thing for them instead of learning how to use the product they purchased, and that quota for contacts is meant to ensure productivity. However, I also feel that when you have customers with legitimate problems or are a bit overwhelmed as beginners, a mentality develops where you simply give the customer a bunch of knowledge base articles and then try to end the contact ASAP as you nervously watch the clock, wondering how badly this long call or chat is going to affect your numbers, and how you're going to try to catch up. Sure, you could multi-task and go through the e-mail queue, but often when you're on a long call or chat your undivided attention is required

In addition, it took me about a month or so to get to know the guy sitting next to me due to the need to maintain a quota for contacts per hour. I know that socializing in the workplace isn't a priority, but we both thought it was a bit much.

I understand the need for the contact quota, but just remember how stressful it is to the staff, and also how it affects interactions with customers.

This is a company that actually cares about both it's employees and it's customers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at InMotion Hosting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

InMotion Hosting keeps getting better as it grows. The management here actually cares about employees and wants everyone to enjoy their job and have fun. We are encouraged to go out of our way to help customers, and are rewarded for going the extra mile! There are many bonuses and monthly raffles in Support. There is even a monthly drawing to reward us employees just for showing up to work on time for the entire month. Who does that? Managers are taking new team members out to lunch, and everyone goes on off site activities all the time. We even get paid when customers send in kudos about us. I keep seeing new ways of employee recognition thought up by management. Also free lunch for the whole company every Tuesday and free snacks delivered every week. But these are all just perks. The real benefit is the culture of learning and improving. Everyone is highly skilled and all are eager to share their expertise. The path from beginner to System Administrator and beyond is uniquely possible in a relatively short time. Oh, and we all share profits twice a year! Advancement potential is real and there are many avenues for growth, and

I've worked for companies where I didn't feel valued and was absolutely miserable. I love working with InMotion and the core values they adhere to. This is a company you'll want to establish yourself with and

Cons

It's usually pretty busy, but not exactly a con as long as you like to work. The work-life balance gets blurred as you develop friendships with your team mates.

You guys are awesome! Thank you for making us feel valued and listening to our feedback.

There are newer employer reviews for InMotion Hosting