Indiana Department of Environmental Management

www.in.gov
  www.in.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Indiana Department of Environmental Management

Review of Indiana Department of Environmental Management

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana Department of Environmental Management full-time

Pros

My favorite aspect of this job is the ability to see many different production process of many different industries. I've also been able to learn a great deal about environmental compliance and permitting processes. Through seeing so many industries and companies and their environmental management programs, I've been able to learn what works, and what doesn't. I think that is a beneficial understanding for any environmental engineer. IDEM also provides quality benefits including insurance and retirement packages. There is also plenty of vacation/personal/sick leave available when needed.

Cons

Don't get me wrong, this is a good position. But that's the problem, it's just good.. not great. My major qualm with my position here is that even though it's titled "environmental engineer", it is anything but an engineering position. I do very minimal actual engineering work, and I find that frustrating. Beyond that, the pay is poor and so are the attitudes of many of the employees. There seems to be minimal motivation among the staff. I am particularly disappointed with the dress here, as many people will just wear jeans and a t-shirt. To me that seems disrespectful to the State of Indiana to dress so nonchalantly. And lastly there appears to be very minimal opportunity for advancement/promotion here.

Please stop letting politics get in the way of compliance. Also, please be more consistent.

5 Other Employee Reviews for Indiana Department of Environmental Management (View Most Recent)

Starter job

Former Employee - Senior Environmental Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Environmental Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana Department of Environmental Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent starter job to learn about the extensive Federal and State environmental regulations before moving to the private sector. Perfect job if you enjoy routine work, low stress levels and the ability to leave your work at the door.

Cons

Compensation is well below private sector salaries and there are very few opportunities for advancement. Enforcement of regulations is highly dependent on the political party in office. Non-merit positions are typically filled by unqualified appointees who enjoy changing the agency structure every election cycle. Quality of benefits, such as health insurance, are deteriorating.

Eliminate non-merit positions that do not add value to the agency.

Good place to learn.

Current Employee - Section Chief in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Section Chief in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana Department of Environmental Management

Pros

Provides a good chance to learn about the regulations for various media. You have to commit to doing the work and try to learn, but in a couple of years and can bring your skill set to consulting if you want.

Cons

Pay is pretty low compared to the private sector. Benefits have deteriorated over the last 5 years to a point where the private sector is competitive. Career advancement is very limited. Advertise a pay for performance culture that has not paid out.

Provide opportunity to advance within each job category. Follow through on promises for performance raises. You can't keep talent without rewarding them appropriately.