Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance

www.infarmbureau.com
  www.infarmbureau.com
There are newer employer reviews for Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance

Good solid place to work in an agency system

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in South Bend, IN
Current Employee - Insurance Agent in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well priced on p&c products. The company provides CSRs that are well trained.

Cons

Life products are a little high. Can only really produce on premier products but have to go to company hired specialist for any higher risk policies. There is a rift between company employed CSRs and independent/commissioned agents.

Give agents more freedoms to insure without having to write thru rural because it is a hindrance to thru rural

19 Other Employee Reviews for Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance (View Most Recent)

Horrible Managers Allowed to Run Amok!

Former Employee - Policy Support Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Policy Support Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can make some really great friends at Indiana Farm Bureau, and the pay is decent, depending on what department you're in.

Cons

Some of the managers at this company are downright horrible bosses, and horrible people. The director, department manager, and team leaders of the Policy Support department are the worst if the bunch. These people allow things to go on that the company could be fined heavily for. For instance, they do not enforce adherence to state regulations as far as insurance laws go, nor do they adhere to their agreements with ISO's contracts. IFBI is only licensed to write and retain business (Personal Lines) in the State of Indiana, yet they allow people who have clearly moved out of state to retain their business, especially if the agents in the county office coach them on how to lie to be able retain said business (i.e. "I'm only temporarily out of state." Or "I retain a Florida address and driver's license, because I'm a snow bird."). Also, certain ISO homeowner's contracts require certain limits be met, else a different contract must be used; however the agents and CSRs in the county offices do not follow the guidelines, and no-one else makes them either. Also, they play favorites with their farm customers (or customers who pretend to own a farm), by giving them a "Farm" rate on ALL of their vehicles, which is IFBI's lowest rate (lower than "Pleasure" rates). Granted, the rules state that to be placed under a "Farm" rate, the vehicle must be used "PRIMARILY in the farming process;" however, I have seen everything from brand new Cadillacs to to Mustangs, to Corvettes, to Mercedes all placed under "Farm" rates. When brought to management's attention, it was requested that we require the agents/CSRs to provide a statement that the vehicle IS used in the farming process, but the agents for furious about having to do this, since they had already promised the rate to the insured. After less than a month, the agents complained to corporate, and we were told to allow the "Farm" rate on any account the agent wrote it on. I have even seen the company grant a "Farm" rate for vehicles of other family members, who didn't live directly in the farm, just because their home was insured under someone else's Rural Guardian policy. Management in this department also expects so much work to be pumped out by the reps in the department, that major corners are cut, including ensuring that proper rates are set. Agents and CSRs very often make major mistakes in rating these policies, but the reps in the Policy Support dept are too pressed for time to catch them, and people often pay more or less than they really should be.

My advice to upper management is to investigate the goings on in the Personal Lines Underwriting and Policy Support departments. Those departments are a major mess as far as ratings go! Also, try listening to your employees when they say something is wrong, before it gets way out of hand.

Fantastuc

Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance

Pros

Competitive wages. A great environment to learn in. They have created an amazing internship program that really teaches interns about corporate culture.

Cons

Very few things. Since they are an insurance company it is a more conservative envoronment and they are less quick to change.

Keep doing what you are doing. IFBI has very low turn over and that speaks volumes for the way the company is being run.

There are newer employer reviews for Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance