Great for a student

Current Employee - Consultant in Terre Haute, IN
Current Employee - Consultant in Terre Haute, IN

Pros

Smart People, and it's great being on a campus

Cons

Terre Haute blows, seriously it blows

Advice to Management

Too much red tape.

Other Employee Reviews for Indiana University

1. IU plays basketball and Second Life. Who needs scholarship?

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Bloomington, IN

Pros

In the state of Indiana, Bloomington has the best quality of life. That isn't saying much, I admit, but if you're stuck in the state, you might as well be here. The Music School is great, if you have the good luck to be associated with it. And the campus landscapers do a very nice job.

Cons

The College is tremendously underfunded, and there are huge financial inequities between schools and even between departments on campus. It's not a happy place, and most faculty I know who are not tied down by family are actively looking for jobs at other universities. Funding for research and conferences is a joke: my annual travel money won't even buy me a domestic plane ticket, so it's no surprise I don't present at conferences. Salaries for staff and for core faculty barely keep pace with cost of living: no matter how much you publish or how many teaching awards you win, don't expect a raise beyond the across-the-board annual increments unless you have a job offer from another U. Promotions don't necessarily bring salary increases. "Congratulations on getting tenure! You're now an associate professor! Here's your 1.5% raise, which you would have gotten anyway, just like everyone else; and by the way, our new assistant prof, just out of grad school, makes only $500 less than you do, even though you've been here five years and you have published two books. We're sure your new title will make you very happy." Of course, if you're in the Law School, Business School, Informatics, or football/basketball, the living is easy, since you make between twice and ten times as much as those poor fools in fine art, history, French, mathematics, and sociology, and you have a nicer office, too. Students are for the most part genial idiots. Administrators like to show off the IT infrastructure, but they don't appear to care about anything else. The town in general is anti-intellectual: off campus it's best not to admit to being a professor, though it's fine to admit to being a coach, NCAA violations or not.

Advice to Management

Salary equity across the entire campus -- say, a 10k range for assistant profs, a 20k range for associates, a 40k range for full profs, with a little recognition of seniority and merit within the ranks -- would raise morale 150% immediately and would help stem the turnover among Arts & Sciences faculty, whose salaries have been at the bottom of the Big Ten for a generation. It's no secret that the guy with a second-rate PhD who teaches about Second Life in the School of Informatics is "sexy" and so makes twice the money of some brilliant and internationally-known scholars in the College of Arts and Sciences (and no, I don't mean myself, since I am neither brilliant nor internationally known.) This would be fine if we were Google, but we're supposed to be a university. It would help too if they raised admissions standards just a little, so that one could at least expect one's students to be able to read and write. But it is Indiana, so I guess they have to take what they can get.

2. A good part time job

I worked at Indiana University (Less than a year)

Pros

I was working part-time at a dormitory front desk. The pay was as expected, minimum wage but the full time staff were positive, supportive, and knew what they were doing.

Cons

If anything, it was the minimum wage.