Indianapolis Public Schools

www.headlines.ips.k12.in.us
There are newer employer reviews for Indianapolis Public Schools

The students and faculty are usually good; the administration not so good.

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indianapolis Public Schools

Pros

The students are responsive and try very hard to succeed. The other faculty members are, by and large, cordial and friendly. They also try to help the students succeed. Most work hard to provide the best education to their students.

Cons

The Indiana Department of Education, following the lead of the national DOE, has implemented stringent and unrealistic rules for "improvement" without having any recent experience in classrooms or working with students or any research into whether the tests they use actually reflect the curriculum of the schools.

Administrators are generally scrambling to hold onto their jobs, so they are much less responsive than in past years. Perhaps it will get better after the elections are over.

Administrators need to take the role of "instructional leader" more seriously and pay less attention to administrivia. The faculty and students are depending on the individual school administrators to represent them and their interests.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Indianapolis Public Schools (View Most Recent)

This school system is in need of serious help.

Former Employee - Guidance Counselor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Guidance Counselor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools

Pros

There were some very dedicated and professional teachers. The students were all of low income, but lovable and open to encouragement.

Cons

The HR Director is incompetent. Their are also some very incompetent teachers. Too much emphasis on discipline and the students are routinely suspended for minor infractions.

Lay Offs

Former Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools

Pros

You receive good pay for a first year teacher, you get to work with children that really need your help.

Cons

The school district is too big and it is hard for anything to trickle down. Some of the schools are down right dangerous. This is the hardest job you could ever take. I was also laid off after my first year because of budget cuts. This was sad because I might have actually made a difference for some kids in my second year.

Offer more support for your first year teachers and have high expectations.

There are newer employer reviews for Indianapolis Public Schools