Industrial Designers Society of America

could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Industrial Designers Society of America

Pros

Interesting group of designers to work with

Cons

In a major transition stage.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

So Why Aren't You Running?

I have been working at Industrial Designers Society of America

Pros

Great flexibility. Great hours. Nice people. Casual atmosphere. Casual dress code.

Cons

Negative overflow from employees who are miserable and think they are overworked/underpaid.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the negative energy in the office. There are plenty of people who are happy to be here, happy to have jobs and willing to work for a paycheck. The generation of 'what's in it for me' and 'enough about you, let's talk about me' needs a life lesson or two. I recommend that YOU, whoever you are, get out as fast as you can, before someone deservedly shows you the door.

Great place to work for those who understand real life

I have been working at Industrial Designers Society of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, flexible benefits, flexible dress code, even flexibility in work duties. I was hired to do one task and after mastering that and expressing interest in other areas, have been given ample opportunity to pursue those things. Management is always pushing us to explore what else we can do, would like to do - promoting from within when possible. Creative, collaborative environment is nice when everyone is on board and motivated. Free coffee. Oddly complimentary mixtures of personality. Benefits are unheard of - some aspects are better than the Federal Government! Work/life balance is awesome, family friendly - whether it's your kids, your partner, your grandma or your dog. All are important and all are welcome.

Cons

That said, occasionally, a bad egg will try to bring spirits down, but 97% of the population here is glad to be here. Telecommute is restricted to bad weather days. Once in a red moon, you have to work late (red moons happen 4x a year). Maid service does a less than average job in the community bathrooms. There are people in the world who have had no life experience and don't yet realize how great this place is, not being just a number on the payroll roster. That it's called work for a reason - you are expected to do something in exchange for your salary and if you have good sense, you'll do something you enjoy. Those people make it annoying to work with at times because they will have to figure it out, just like the rest of the adult world did.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This place has grown significantly better since I started working here. Continue to be honest while building up the people who work with/for you. Some people aren't mature enough to handle the real world and the way a successful business functions. Stomp out any snakes in the grass before they can poison the rest.