Not a good career decision for anyone with more than 2 years of work experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Inflection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

well managed company, super intelligent and focused senior leadership that knows their market super well. super data PPC and ecommerce organization.

Cons

Poisonous work environment. the senior execs focus only on employees individual contribution, while sacrificing any notion of collaboration. They encourage "survival of the fittest" work environment where employees are encouraged to promote their contribution at any cost even on the expense of their coworkers. Employees are not "penalized" for failing their coworkers in the process (and some of them do) and some of the most aggressive non-collaborators got promoted faster than top performing team players. The level of competition is so intense that it even promotes competition between employees and their supervisors :-) This works well for entry level folks/college hires (Inflection invests unusually high amount of resources on college recruiting for a company its size) since they don't know better or have fewer employment options. The CEO, Matthew, is a jerk. I heard a quote (I think Buffet but am not sure) that says that money helps to surface someone's bad qualities.This quote definitely applies to Matthew. One of Matthew's mentors is a guy that wrote "self help" books on how to date women by using stupid "Jedi mind tricks", so the starting point for Matthew isn't great even before he got rich... Matthew brings some of these mind tricks to the office, like dropping the line "you are very negative" in his conversations with female employees (out of context in the five examples I heard of) since according to his mentor it makes women think that they are emotional and puts them in a "disadvantage" during the conversation (the assumption is that women don't want to be perceived as "emotional")... He tends to publicly lash out at employees of all levels in a way that destroys any credibility they might have with other coworkers. Employees have anxiety attacks before presenting to him and senior execs preferred to minimize what they present to him in order to minimize the likelihood of being humiliated in public. My theory is that he was bullied when he was a teenager... The CEO's brother and co founder, Brian, is better only on the surface. He wears a "nice guy" mask when he needs employees to engage and put an extra effort but at the end of the day he doesn't treat employees like human beings. Overall, I don't recommend working at Inflection unless it's your first job out of college. My partner said that I showed depression symptoms while I worked there, despite receiving super positive performance reviews.

Advice to Management

none. it's too late for them to change since their philosophical approach to how to run a company brought them (and only them) financial prosperity.

Other Employee Reviews for Inflection

If you don't get into the "boys club" in this company, the odds are you won't go anywhere while you're there.

Former Employee - Front-End Developer, People Smart in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Front-End Developer, People Smart in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Inflection full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office, good benefits, catered lunch and plenty of extra curricular activities.

Cons

Terrible leadership, archaic technology stack and managers against change/improvement. High employee turn-over rates are a side-effect of this "boys club" environment the CEO has created. If he likes someone, they get promoted to some randomly decided title that may or may not fit their skills or experience at all. He often lets people go if they question or do not share a strategic vision with him or his leadership team.

Advice to Management

Listen to the last dozen employees that have come through your company. You need to improve your technology, get new and capable leadership team members and stop promoting people that have not proven themselves and who are not qualified.

Unreal first job out of college. Love working here.

Current Employee - Business Development in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Inflection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible co-workers, wonderful community curated by our Happiness Engineer, transparent business, flat structure, great mentors, flex time, ability to work remotely (if you're going on a trip and don't want to use PTO) or work from home (most people WFH Tuesdays/Thursdays), ability to make a high impact and own a piece of the business right out of college, fun milestone trips whenever we hit a revenue goal, frequent happy hours, awesome company sailing most weekends (can bring guests!), a company that cares about the individual not just the employee.

Cons

currently need more front end developers, which management knows and has now made a hiring focus. not the most competitive salaries for people right out of college (at least for people on the marketing/bd site), but it improves markedly post a person's 1-year review