Inflection

There are newer employer reviews for Inflection

At an interesting (inflection?) point

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Inflection full-time (more than a year)

Pros

About a month ago, I was going to start looking for other places to work, but things have begun to change in a way at Inflection that gives me a sense of hope and optimism. The key area of change is the nascent beginning of open and honest dialogue regarding very real criticisms and concerns people have had at Inflection (which you can gather from reading the spectrum of reviews on glassdoor). The chief problem at Inflection is that people in the past have felt unable to voice these concerns from a space of safety and non-alienation. However, discussions are beginning to percolate among colleagues, leadership, and the team. It feels like a good start, one that has a long way to go, but nonetheless inspires a sense of promise.

Cons

Inflection at the moment, lacks a clear communication and collective intention about the long-term vision of the company. Earlier on in its history, it seems that Inflection saw itself as the "privacy-friendly, ethical" competitor in a fairly shady space of people-search. Unfortunately, with very tough competition, Inflection has somewhat become a "lite" version of its more aggressive competitors, adopting their profitable gimmicks and merchandising while tweaking things to better fit the vision of the "ethical, privacy-friendly" competitor. Inflection has begun to brand itself toward the vision of "helping people safely build trusted connections". This is a good start, but the company needs a better sense of the long-term goals and vision of the company, e.g. is it to change the people-search industry for the better? There are people in the company thinking deeply about these issues and it is nice that there is dialogue emerging in this domain, but it is in Inflection's great long-term interest to carry on this momentum. Many of the young folk at Inflection, including myself, have felt some dissonance and lack of a sense of greater purpose, which is a critical driving force for motivation and inspiration when at work. When we more openly discuss this and have a clearer collective intention, I do not doubt that Inflection will be well positioned to innovate and make serious, worthwhile change.

The other important con, related to this, lies in the reciprocal dynamic between leadership and the team. It's very easy to put the brunt of the criticism on the leadership team, as I admittedly may have done in the past. Sure, the leadership team has made mistakes and decisions that I wish were different (and they probably share this regret too). However, it's important to recognize that as a team, we "non-leadership workers" also influence the interpersonal structure and dynamics of the company. It's a challenging task, but a totally worthwhile one, to bring to attention to criticisms and concerns in a way that does not alienate, but rather builds bridges and can work toward changing some of the dynamics others have criticized here in their reviews. Perhaps it was more difficult to do so in the past, but I feel Inflection is well positioned at an interesting "inflection point" to embark on this changing path. At it's heart, Inflection's leadership (and team) are very good-intentioned people. This is likely why Inflection drew so many people to begin with. Inflection's recruiting strength was always it's "culture" and "people". How we draw out those good-intentions (rather than our faults and negatives) depends on how we interact with each other and resolve difficulties.

Set a sense of collective intention. Allow this to happen from the bottom-up while providing the support and higher level structure to welcome and shape it. And engage in open and honest discussion with colleagues. It's interesting, when I think about Inflection's predicament, I am reminded of an image I read in book long ago. Inflection, with all it's great benefits but past silence on certain issues, is like a beautiful, well-presented garden that hides the fact that at the center is a stinking sh**hole. Sure this image is hyperbole to some extent. But the image captures well what in the past has not been addressed openly at Inflection. And certainly this image is not unique to Inflection. You see it in other companies that ignore many of their internal problems (e.g. Google's playground on the outside and slave-ship on the inside), and in Silicon Valley as a whole where we often ignore the negative societal impact of much of our technological enterprises, and in just how we delude ourselves in the pleasures of samsaric life. I'm optimistic and excited that Inflection can actually begin to address these problems from a space of truth and safety.

34 Other Employee Reviews for Inflection (View Most Recent)

Lots of opportunities

I worked at Inflection

Pros

I worked at Inflection for 2 years.

Aside from all the usual perks/benefits that come with working at a tech-firm (food, health, commute perks, etc etc), Inflection offers a plethora of exciting opportunities, products, and teams to get involved in.

This is quite an employee-driven firm in the sense that you are given a great degree of freedom to define the projects that you work on and the people that you work with. It's a pretty rare attribute, and if you're willing to run with those opportunities, you'll really enjoy it.

Cons

If you're not pretty self-directed, it's easy to fall into a routine of doing very little and building up resentment. Finding your niche is not the cut-throat process that other reviews might lead you to believe; if you open those discussions with your colleagues then I think you'll be surprised at the support you'll get. It's just a case of asking.

The technology stack is a bit old, and could do with some upgrading. I personally believe the work from home perk is a somewhat exploited to the detriment of the company as a whole.

Inflection Response

Nov 26, 2014Recruiting

Thanks for your contributions, and happy that you were inspired by all the opportunities for growth and impact. We are excited to have introduced some new technologies to our stack, including Ruby ... More

A great job for self-starters

I have been working at Inflection

Pros

There is a lot of attention paid to company culture here, and it really shows in day-to-day operations. I think a hallmark of a good culture is employees cultivating friendships outside of work, and I see that regularly here.

While the company is growing, the startup mentality is still very strong. You really have the opportunity to shape your own career path within the company and work on things that interest you.

Cons

The technology stack could use an upgrade. Also, while many people (including me) enjoy working in a startup culture, it can be a bit unnerving at times when long-term direction isn't totally clear.

More planning around career paths and concrete long-term goals will be needed as the company continues to expand.

There are newer employer reviews for Inflection