There are newer employer reviews for Informatica

Good solid company. Needs to maintain steady not astronomic growth.

Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Informatica has been known to hire the best people, both in sales, engineering and management. The company has grown via internal and acquisition, but the companies acquired were very synergistic to the long term goals. Inside sales reps are very good and most come with 10-15 years experience. Good product recognized by the industry, and job satisfaction if you have a good territory. (I didn't)

Cons

You'd think that inside sales and outside sales would work well as a team, and that had been the case, however in the last year there was a push to continue growth at the same rate as they have seen the previous 10-15 years. Management has reduced the role of inside sales from strategic partner to the field and the customer base, to a role that just sells options and add-ons, which takes some of the strategic vision away from inside sales, where the experience is far greater than what the role is becoming. In addition, sales is being moved to Austin, TX in favor of lower costs. Sr management (outside of Inside Sales) has looked down on the inside sales group or been ambivalent. Inside sales was incented to sell smaller deals when the opportunity to sell $400-800K deals exists. Why cap our earnings?

Advice to Management

Lots of new faces in management. I've never seen a VP of sales walk down our aisle, or address us directly. You wonder if they know where inside sales is located, and definitely don't know what we have to do in order to book a $200K order. I could easily outsell many of the field reps if I wanted that role. We bring in over $50M in revenue. How about getting a closer relationship between inside sales and field VP's? That said, these are things all companies go through when they are in a growth phase. I have no doubt the company will continue to do well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good to Average

I worked at Informatica

Pros

- Real grip on data integration - Great R&D Talent - Relentless focus to winning - Strong player in Data Quality - Real "science driven" approach to solutions

Cons

- Decisions took a long time to be made - Has a "bad carbon copy" feel to Oracle. Oracle is changing fast, not afraid of failure, whereas Informatica does fear failure and will turn left and right than deal with the real problems it has - Company struggles between the lure of on premise but the need for cloud. Two competing business models do not work - Company has hired a great marketing team that is perhaps ahead of rest of company, not sure if rest of company can catch up

Advice to Management

Focus on whether it's the big million dollar deals of on premise that will lead this company to the future or is it the cloud, which will be a more costly (profit wise) venture? Doing both is very difficult and not scale-able. Lack of focus and precision has led to big hiring and big spending with minimal result. It's time to fight hard or not fight at all.

2. Happiest work places in the bay area

Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Informatica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great bunch of people. Great culture. Loyal customers. You will make life long friends and enjoy going to work.

Cons

Not many. Some of the execs lack vision but that's universal at all large companies. The compensation may not be competitive but its worth the quality of life.

Advice to Management

Lots of sharp shooters in the lower ranks. Shake up the structure and give the new kids a chance

Informatica Response

Jul 24, 2013 – Vice President International Human Resources

Thanks so much for taking time to post this review and I'm glad to hear that you had such a positive time with the company!