Information Builders

www.informationbuilders.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Information Builders

Great place to learn and work

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Information Builders

Pros

Great learning environment with highly talented teams of developers.

Cons

Quirky management with mixed opportunities for career development and direction.

Advice to Management

"Uncle" Gerry has done a great job of running Information Builders. There are times and places where the technical and management teams could benefit from some coaching and professional development.

reviews filtered by
  1. a good software company in great location

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Information Builders

Pros

Great company with nice people, convenient location, lot of opportunities to learn new stuff, you can always find good people to help you on technical problems and give you suggestions on how to setup your develop environment. Work is not so hard and everybody has the chance to learn and to practice the cutting edge technologies. Good sales team makes great profit for this company so that the company is silll pretty stable in this down economic situation. There are a lot of good restaurants around the headquarter of the company, so that you can easily to taste many good foods. And of course its location is nice to have you commute since penn station is just downstairs.

Cons

not too much growth recently, some people leave because the company is too stable. Short of challenges, the work is not that interesting since most of the development and products are middleware so that the developers can not see the result and can't feel the excitement when they see the users are really using their products. It's not easy for the employee to talk with high level people, actually we have a lot of suggestions on how to manage the company better and even which products we feel more worth to build and sell. There are too many QAs and product managers.

Advice to Management

Provide more chances to let the employee to communicate with management to provide suggestions.

Worst Working Environment You Can Imagine

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Information Builders

Pros

Benefits, health insurance package and location

Cons

Company has been downsizing and very little advancement possible. No salary increases for over 5 years. If your looking to work for a company with long term growth this is not the place to be. The entire staff is worried about losing their jobs, rumours and buyouts. Company tried to sell years ago.
    Depending on who you work for, it can be a miserable experience. My director rarely was in the office and major discrimination prevailed. The worst working environment I've even seen. Promotions and increases in salary (rarely) were rarely based on productivity.

Advice to Management

Start looking at productivity of directors and employees in managment positions, their responsibilities and work hours. Many key people are rarely at work and have no clue what their employers are doing and don't seem to care unless a problem becomes apparent.
    Many are completely unaware of what is going on. I have rarely even spoken with my immediate supervisor except when receiving my annual review. My director was so lazy she just would hand me my review with no oral feedback at all. Incredable!! No incentives or reason to even perform in an acceptable manner. Incentives (the few given)were to all the wrong people . I swear my immediate supervisor must take over 200 days off each year and left early the other days she did show up for work. Discrimination galore, many employees (over 10 during my employment) left specifically from the company because of this. Its disgarceful for a company this size to operate this inefficiently and subjectively!