Ingersoll-Rand

company.ingersollrand.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ingersoll-Rand

Hostile and combative.

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand in Mocksville, NC. I would say the pro would to be to work at a different location like Davidson. The colleagues in Davidson were mature and professionals.

Cons

The downside to working in Mocksville, NC is the hostile and combative nature in which staff management leads the facility. If you speak up with another opinion, then you are surely questioning authority. The culture at the facility is extremely biased toward women and does not do much in the presence of complaints. "Good ole boy network" Supervisors are often patted on the back for intimidation and fear among the hourly and salary workers. Quantity is number one while Quality takes a backseat to hitting numbers.

Stop having meetings to discuss meetings when top management comes to visit. I assume this is to cover up and get on the same page; it is the same type of bad behavior that almost demolished Ford until Molally came on to represent a better standard in culture. If the plant manager would stop talking about all he has done and actually listen maybe he would see certain areas of opportunities. The promotion of a classism existence is present in the plant; there is only a "metaphorically speaking open door policy". If you speak up you are shunned and not looked at for promotion. If you are an agreeable manager/employee you are promoted. Sometimes it is those who are disagreeable that make the huge leaps in higher standards for Quality. Quality is just something to check off a list of to-do's for the facility and they do not take it with consideration to hitting numbers. I believe that this facility does not look at secondary metrics as a way of tracking against earned hours, but looks at scrap amounts that say nothing in a culture that promotes a "black belt mentality." No customer return metrics, no warranty metrics and the Quality Manager is a yes man that is sleeping behind the wheel. What organization would ever put the Quality Manager reporting directly to the Plant Manager??? Lean six sigma is a fad at the facility. I believe that staff management sees the lean, because they are production oriented and that is what lean is for, but what happened to the six sigma portion of the equation, you need both. I don't eve believe that the management truly knows Quality at all and cares nothing about it. The way that the facility churns the management through gives no support to sustaining good practices or accountability for when things are done to purely show numbers. FYI... stop taking the visual boards down when top management leaves and putting them back when they are there, most employees think RIEs are a joke and are losing confidence in a program that I am sure IR as a whole has invested quite a lot of money in. Also, what are the strategic plans? I was at the facility for 3 years and when strategic plans were dropped into our employee profiles, most managers had no understanding of how to align their employees with the vision/ strategic plans coming from corporate, most manager's didn't know how to implement strategic plans on a ground level and never sought opportunity to make any directive's known for front line management. It was a very confusing process of "guessing" what your manager wanted from you. I do believe that there are quite a few managers that could learn something from taking a communications class and maybe a few seminars on how to make productive employees. In a nut shell when supervisors are cussing and yelling at employees, belittling, it makes most people including myself feel as though the management represents people who are uneducated and unarticulated. So inarticulate that they know no other way but to be mean and aggressive.

388 Other Employee Reviews for Ingersoll-Rand (View Most Recent)

Good learning experience for first job

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

Good Benefits, good work lfe balance

Cons

Not too many growth opportunities, far from any metro area

Decent people, poor upper management and communication

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

They do a pretty decent job of allowing you to balance work and life, so that is a plus. Pretty decent coworkers as well

Cons

The upper management at the company does a very poor job of communicating. Often times you have projects that can't move forward because you don't know what business is going to be sold next week.

Get some actual direction for the company. Stop all the lip service about unifying procedures and sectors and use some strong change management to make it happen.

There are newer employer reviews for Ingersoll-Rand