There are newer employer reviews for Ingersoll-Rand

Good experience at Fortune 500 Industry Leader

Former Employee - Production Manager in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Production Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

Solid Fortune 500 Company that develops leaders well. I was given extensive training and opportunities to advance. The company values those leaders that have drive and invest in their best assets - people. Their core business in infrastructure is a world wide need and sets them up for a good future/outlook. Other industries are being hit by this economical downturn much harder.

Cons

There are trending towards the outssourcing of its manufacturing operations. I am a manufacturing specialist so I am against the principle - despite realizing the financial impacts.

Continue Leadership Development programs and invest in human capital

376 Other Employee Reviews for Ingersoll-Rand (View Most Recent)

IR? Trane? Who are we.

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

Relatively stable, decent pay, short commute

Cons

Cube-ville...... open office environment. Packed in like rats. Noisy and can't hear yourself think.

Get a plan. We're floundering. IR buying Trane has not improved life from where I sit.

Strong potential, but still has further to go before it stands out above the competition.

Current Employee - Accelerated Development Program Operations Engineer in Davidson, NC

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

Good people at lowest levels of the organization.
    Individual cultures at plant locations are people friendly and hard working.
    There are pockets of sincere, dedicated, smart, and talented individuals who do a lot for the company. These people are the ones who make the company run and pick up the slack for all others. This is true in any company, but my point is mainly that IR has a history of relying too much on these individuals without properly rewarding them and eventually these people leave. I have seen the best talent turn over significantly in the past three years. The worst talent lingers on indefinitely without any signs of leaving.

Cons

Difficulty enacting strategic decisions and building company unity. This is due less to senior leadership and more on the incompetence of middle management at executing directives. IR is taking steps at improving this but it is a slow cycle. I estimate another 5 years until the middle management is able to compete at the levels of the competition.
    Middle management is extremely lacking.
    Too little focus on developing lower and middle range employees. Pizza parties are about the extent of the benefits to frontline employees. Pretty weak considering the good work they do.
    Company in general is hesitant to take strategic risks.

Improve middle management capacity quickly.

There are newer employer reviews for Ingersoll-Rand