Innosight

There are newer employer reviews for Innosight

Experience at Innosight

Current Employee - Analyst
Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Innosight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to create real impact

Cons

Middle tier of the organization had many manager but a few eladers

12 Other Employee Reviews for Innosight (View Most Recent)

So happy to work at Innosight!

Current Employee - Manager in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Innosight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits - Innosight pays 100% of it's employees health and dental, which is phenomenal! They match 401K contributions (up to 6%) and offer very competitive bonus and profit sharing. Also, they kick-in $250 towards Flex spending and offer solid reimbursements toward gym memberships.
    Compensation - Innosight pays only slightly less than very large firms and roughly 15-20% more than Consulting Firms of a similar size.
    Work/Life balance - Excellent! There are of course busy times, but on the whole, Innosight is very conscientious about time spent on projects. On a personal note, one of the members of my family is battling cancer and Innosight has shown me nothing but support and understanding. They have offered me time off, coverage and endless amounts of encouragement. I know they're behind me and will be supportive of whatever I need. I don't think I could say the same thing of any other employer I've worked for (I've worked in NYC and Boston for 5 employers).
    Access to Senior Leaders - Partners and Senior Staff are incredibly down to earth and approachable! No one is intimidating and I feel comfortable going to anyone with questions or with an update. They're incredibly smart and well rounded, but never arrogant. I find it refreshing.
    People - Very bright, down to earth and uniquely quirky. My colleagues are incredibly talented. Everyone brings to the table some interesting hobby or skill. You wouldn't know it right off the bat, since folks are modest, but the more you talk with people, the more you recognize the depth and diversity of interest and skill set.
    Feedback - I'm very satisfied with the amount of feedback I receive. Innosight has formal mid year review and end of year reviews. I've also receive real-time feedback on better ways to approach/solve problems, which is appreciated.
    Events - Innosight has a Social Steering Committee (a mix of internal staff and consultants) who have a budget and are responsible for throwing events, both inside and outside the office. We've had some truly unique events. My favorites include mechanical bull riding, weekly happy hours, sumo wrestling, wine tastings, white water rafting, snow tubing and weekly yoga.
    Flexibility - Innosight is not a "face time" culture. What matters to management is that you get your job done well and in a timely manner.

I've heard a few co-workers complain here and there about this or that. I always want to tell them, "go work anywhere else and then see if you complain about Innosight!"

Cons

Evolving Firm - This is both a pro and a con, I suppose. I would describe the office as fluid and progressive. If you are very structured and want a policy in place for every single request, Innosight is not the employer for you.
    Location in Lexington - I've always worked in the heart of a city, so working in the 'burbs is a change for me. That said, Lexington is beautiful and there's good shopping and dining within 1-4 miles of the office. Long story short, I'm adjusting.

Continue to try to be a part of as many events as possible!

A sad place to work

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Innosight

Pros

For new consultants, a great place to work for 2 years or so, learn about innovation and consulting, and then move on. On the professional staff side, a great place to work in general.

Better than industry norms:
    - Unpaid leave policy (e.g. ability to take time off to pursue your passions)
    - Vacation

Consistent with industry norms:
    - 401K
    - Benefits
    - Profit Sharing

Cons

Innosight as a firm is largely out of touch with its employees in a way that is surprising given who the firm is. We have an effort focused on developing or redefining the employee value proposition (a good thing), but it is being led by the most out of touch Senior Partner at the firm. The result is that there is a filter on communications where they only hear what they chose to hear and ignore anything that challenges their beliefs. Communication becomes very frustrating.

Salaries at Innosight start close to on par with other consulting firms (maybe 15% less of around $120K vs. $135K at other firms), but this gap widens as you move up. A promotion at Innosight is typically an additional $10K per level. Bases for promotion are unclear and random - with decisions often in contrast to our espoused values - and a chaos or randomness to the process despite the 50 or so dimensions of performance we are evaluated on. Tradeoffs used to make sense given better lifestyle, but that has now gone away.

Recently, we've undergone a brain drain with a number of people departing Innosight for Red Star Ventures, and more of us likely on our way in January. Other folks have left too at a pace far exceeding industry norms (as in the denominator is # of consultants, not # of personnel total) Unfortunately, we are not particularly good at recruiting to replace this talent. For example, we frequently promise new talent rapid promotions (6 months) only to conveniently forget at the time and most people will be asked to take a step backwards in their career to join.

Best career advice for outsiders - become a partner somewhere else, then lateral into Innosight since that seems to be the best way to accelerate your career.

The firm is built around the partners in a way that is unlike any other consulting firm. We have a consultant to professional staff ratio somewhere around 2 consultants (from all levels) to 1 professional staff. We also have two planes and two pilots on staff. Collectively, this creates an outsized overhead that cramps upward opportunities.

We are asked to all be leaders, but the firm doesn't really understand what leadership means. At Innosight, leadership means conformity; there is an Innosight Way that is rightly or wrongly not up for debate.

The funny thing about Innosight is that when you are here, you surprisingly won't find a company that feels like it is going to double in four years - but more like a firm that is plodding along - it sucks the energy and creativity out of you.

We are a small professional community and despite your best efforts, we all talk openly.

There are newer employer reviews for Innosight