Innosight

There are newer employer reviews for Innosight

Experience at Innosight

Current Employee - Analyst
Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Innosight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to create real impact

Cons

Middle tier of the organization had many manager but a few eladers

12 Other Employee Reviews for Innosight (View Most Recent)

Growing, fast-paced firm with tons of potential

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Innosight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects. It's about impact and helping the clients solve their growth problems. The projects focus on finding growth opportunities and helping the client remain competitive and/or innovative in their industry. The complexity is what makes it interesting - you have to think analytically and creatively. It's a collaborative effort on teams which is energizing.

People. Very smart and very nice. Across all levels too. Management wants to hear opinions and there is a culture of transparency and collaboration. There is a strong level of collegiality and camaraderie among the consultants. Management is conscientious of how to manage the growth while maintaining the culture and the firm's core values.

Work/life balance. Long hours, intense work, but management tries to make it manageable. Doesn't mean late nights or weekends don't happen, but it's not at a typical level of a consulting firm and will vary project to project. Probably feels more manageable because the work is interesting. High level of flexibility to work from home when needed (if you're not needed at the client) and generous with time off to handle personal matters and comp days if there's a big push on the project.

Benefits. Health is covered 100% and the company even contributes to FSA. They also offer 401k match and profit share.

Compensation is competitive. Base is not as high as the big firms as you become more senior, but it's made up for with bonus, benefits, flexibility, and a better work/life balance.

Personal and career growth. There are opportunities to grow personally and professionally. It's not up or out and people are promoted based on performance and not a specific timeline. They use the term "grow or go" Each project brings a new learning opportunity.

Cons

Access to management. Partners are almost non-existent in the office other than a couple. Hard to get time on their calendars. When you have their ear, they're helpful and very down to earth, but this is not a place where you will see partners socialize a lot.

Feedback. It's a formal feedback rich culture, but sometimes it's the same thing over & over again, and the assigned mentor is not always helpful. You have to talk to the people in talent management to get the real answer or translate. There is little informal, in the moment feedback. Many leaders become uncomfortable with real-time feedback.

Consistency. It can be very different working from partner to partner. There is a level of consistency and standardization that needs to happen so people are not confused and the company can grow. There can be a lot of peaks and valleys in your own performance in one year based on who you're working with and you're left scratching your head.

- Be more present rather than having a select few own the relationships with the consultants. We look to you for guidance and inspiration.
    - Share more in-the-moment feedback and make it tangible. Also there needs to be more consistency partner to partner in expectations.
    - Don't stall progress for the sake of buy-in from all. You're the leaders, lead.
    - Don't lose the culture or sight of the values, which can happen as a company grows and expands its global footprint.

A sad place to work

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Innosight

Pros

For new consultants, a great place to work for 2 years or so, learn about innovation and consulting, and then move on. On the professional staff side, a great place to work in general.

Better than industry norms:
    - Unpaid leave policy (e.g. ability to take time off to pursue your passions)
    - Vacation

Consistent with industry norms:
    - 401K
    - Benefits
    - Profit Sharing

Cons

Innosight as a firm is largely out of touch with its employees in a way that is surprising given who the firm is. We have an effort focused on developing or redefining the employee value proposition (a good thing), but it is being led by the most out of touch Senior Partner at the firm. The result is that there is a filter on communications where they only hear what they chose to hear and ignore anything that challenges their beliefs. Communication becomes very frustrating.

Salaries at Innosight start close to on par with other consulting firms (maybe 15% less of around $120K vs. $135K at other firms), but this gap widens as you move up. A promotion at Innosight is typically an additional $10K per level. Bases for promotion are unclear and random - with decisions often in contrast to our espoused values - and a chaos or randomness to the process despite the 50 or so dimensions of performance we are evaluated on. Tradeoffs used to make sense given better lifestyle, but that has now gone away.

Recently, we've undergone a brain drain with a number of people departing Innosight for Red Star Ventures, and more of us likely on our way in January. Other folks have left too at a pace far exceeding industry norms (as in the denominator is # of consultants, not # of personnel total) Unfortunately, we are not particularly good at recruiting to replace this talent. For example, we frequently promise new talent rapid promotions (6 months) only to conveniently forget at the time and most people will be asked to take a step backwards in their career to join.

Best career advice for outsiders - become a partner somewhere else, then lateral into Innosight since that seems to be the best way to accelerate your career.

The firm is built around the partners in a way that is unlike any other consulting firm. We have a consultant to professional staff ratio somewhere around 2 consultants (from all levels) to 1 professional staff. We also have two planes and two pilots on staff. Collectively, this creates an outsized overhead that cramps upward opportunities.

We are asked to all be leaders, but the firm doesn't really understand what leadership means. At Innosight, leadership means conformity; there is an Innosight Way that is rightly or wrongly not up for debate.

The funny thing about Innosight is that when you are here, you surprisingly won't find a company that feels like it is going to double in four years - but more like a firm that is plodding along - it sucks the energy and creativity out of you.

We are a small professional community and despite your best efforts, we all talk openly.

There are newer employer reviews for Innosight