There are newer employer reviews for Inogen

Excellent company with great growth potential, atmosphere, and compensation structure for sales reps.

Current Employee - Customer Development Representative in Richardson, TX
Current Employee - Customer Development Representative in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Inogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. This company is growing at a fast pace, but staying profitable.
2. There is no cold-calling leads. All leads are initially in-bound calls or web requests, so the potential clients are asking to be contacted.
3. The product you are selling really is the best available in the market.
4. It's a relatively relaxed atmosphere. You can wear jeans, flip-flops, tennis shoes, and t-shirts any time. Also, they have a strict 40 hour work-week policy. No overtime and they are pretty flexible with shifts if you need to leave early and work late other days.
5. All sales managers are promoted from within and are former Customer Development Representatives. That means that they've done the job that you're doing before and can really help contribute to success right out of the gate.
6. The pay can be very rewarding if you work hard. There are no caps on commissions, and once you hit target, every sale you make above that is paid at a higher rate. Commissions are paid monthly, on time, and I've never had to go back to management and get them to pay me for a sale that wasn't calculated right in the system. Most reps are on track to make about $50-$80k / year in total compensation.
7. There isn't really any office politics or secrets. The company has a company wide meeting where they go over results, financials, customer service, and ongoing projects every couple of months. Everything is discussed, including the things that need to be worked on, not just the good stuff.
8. There hasn't been a single layoff or firing since I've started in our Richardson office. Out of the group of 11 that I started with in June 2012, 2 have been promoted into management, 1 has been promoted into a senior role on the team, and only 1 person has left the company. In less than 1 year, Inogen has hired over 30 new Customer Development Reps for the Richardson office, and only 4 have left the company. Compared to previous jobs I've been in, that is an excellent churn rate.

Cons

1. Since we deal with Medicare, sometimes the paperwork process for some sales can be frustrating and challenging if you're not a detail oriented person.
2. You have to be willing to put in the work. The management team during training and in team meetings will talk about reps needing to make 50 calls / day to be successful. For the most part, I would say that's accurate, and if you're not willing to put forth the effort, you won't be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The company is moving in the right direction and 2013 is looking very good!

reviews filtered by
  1. Best job to date!

I have been working at Inogen

Pros

During my internship I was given exceptional responsibility, had a great boss and use this experience as my benchmark for determining what a good work environment is.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

2. A Great Environment

Former Employee - Business Development Representative (Sales) in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative (Sales) in Richardson, TX

I worked at Inogen

Pros

An easy place to work, you are trusted to do the right thing (maybe sometimes too much) and respected for achieving goals. Fair and achievable goals with good compensation opportunities. Growing company and most of all the product is really as good as you'll tell people it is. It won't work for everyone but it is amazing for those it will, and that makes selling it easy. It's a great sales job without the cold calling typical sales manipulation. The company is extremely transparent, it doesn't feel political or a lot of favoritism. If you have enough integrity to work independently you will never find a better position. Open door policy is real and while may not result in change always you can be heard and not judged for having an opinion. I can't wait to come back to work for this organization!!

Cons

It feels like a call center, because it kind of is a call center. The organization hasn't matured with it's growth fast enough, there is a difficult obstacle of departments not communicating and slow improvement in areas related to patient services. Communication, implementation and training don't seem to have become big enough priorities across the board to make all departments feel connected. Everyone does their piece and has very little care/understanding of who or what the other pieces are. That makes it hard when dealing with patients.

Advice to Management

Train! Communicate! and find internal solutions for some of the challenges that exist, get more people involved in solving the frustrating issues. You have a great product and a fantastic group of people, use them better. Stop hiring at the current rate and let existing reps work with more leads - increase accountability so those that game the system get gone faster!