Inova health information department / Alexandria

Current Employee - Release of Information Specialist in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Release of Information Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can transfer jobs within inova.

Cons

Benefits:
Pto:
401k
Vacation
your sick time and your vacation are lumped into the same pool.

Advice to Management

If u have an employee willing to lean new task in your department, give them a chance.

Don't box them in.

reviews filtered by

Worked in IT

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many
    401k match is decent

Cons

Pay
    Micro management
    HR dept.
    Company culture

Advice to Management

Managers and Directors need some serious traning. If you get stuck with a bad Manager, god help you. It's almost like certain Managers run their dept. like their own little company with its own rules. If you like having to beg for your job on a weekly basis then Inova is the place for you. If you like being called out in a staff meeting to answer the question why you love your job and why your Manager is so great, go work for Inova. Who holds bi weekly 4 hour staff meetings where you go around bashing the other teams and talk for hours about your colleagues ? I compare my time there to being in a cult. You're brain washed for so long that when you finally do get out you wonder what you were doing there so long, and forget what normal is Working at this place for 7 years and being severly under paid makes me so thankful for the job I have now.

Prepares you for anything, but leave ethics at the door

Former Employee - Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to complex patient and management scenarios. Incredible staff and managers who are committed to patient care. The ability to make a positive difference in patient lives every day. Excellent patient care.

Cons

Executives and administrators as a whole are thoroughly disconnected with hospital operations. Very little flexibility with staff and the balance of work life needs. Its all about what Inova needs. Staff can expect to be worked to exhaustion, then punished for any misstep.

Advice to Management

I lost sleep, weight, pride, and some of my own self respect in the two years I tolerated that place. You tout the mission of Inova and you have no idea what it means. Stop wasting millions of dollars on management consultants like Disney, Studer, Gallup, and Vital Smarts. It's not a problem with these programs, but the way your corporate management poorly implements them. Get your training and development staff in the hospitals working side by side with the managers to see what really goes on. ILI is great PR to say you offer it, but its a joke for most managers. Scrutinize the actions of your administrators. Their practices poison what could be a great institution.