Inova

www.inova.org

Good retirement job (non-clinical)

Pros

well-known hospital looks good on your resume, nice co-workers (mostly)

Cons

No opportunity for growth or education, supervisors and directors give no feedback and do not move forward with changes, everyone seems like they are here to do their 8 hours & get a paycheck, micromanaging is severe, Salary doesn't actually mean salary, no flex time and you have to use your PTO on the few holidays you actually get off.

Put intelligent people(who know processes) in management positions

Other reviews for Inova

Repeated Unprofessional Experiences

Pros

Free parking.

Feather in my cap to say that I worked in one of the top 50 hospitals in the nation. (But really, how impressive is that anyway?)

Cons

No pay raise for over 4 years. They hate to pay over-time, and any reason you give isn't good enough, even if you are taking care of a patient who collapsed!

Salaried employees are enslaved. My colleagues and I worked 10-12 hour days for years, and still more was layered on us and expected to be completed on time. We were encouraged to take work home! When I approached management to formally request more help, I was told "that isn't going to happen, so do the best you can". Absolutely no empathy from management.

Departmental morale was low for years, and teams were not encouraged to work cohesively.

Doctors are still treated as gods, that they do no wrong, and we are expected to kowtow to their crazy demands. Most doctors I worked with are still disrespectful to nurses, with being rude, yelling, blaming, finger-pointing, getting the patients worked up and throwing it back on the nurse to fix. I caught more than one doctor lying to me, and on several occasions at that! When I informed management of what occurred, I was told that "I did the right thing by reporting it, now step back and let them handle it." Whatever they did, did not change the habits of the physicians.

When I brought forth innovative ideas or constructive feedback, it fell on deaf ears. I had a few ways to streamline our work and prevent repetition of tasks - and was told by the senior staff nurse that "it wouldn't work." What irks me, is that 2 years later, she made the suggestion herself to the team, and suddenly it was a good idea!

In the last year, I interviewed for several positions in the Inova system, so that I could transfer to a less stressful job, and keep my salary and benefits. I had months of poor responses from Human Resources, who cannot keep their department well-staffed, and the staff that is there is overworked and difficult to reach. It took weeks to set up interviews. I had to repeatedly call back to find out if I would be offered a position. And, to my amazement, after I had successful interviews for 2 different positions, those positions were eliminated! I eventually found out why...

... Inova is BROKE! That is why they have been having layoffs, and outsourcing multiple departments. I was displaced from one of my jobs, and given 4 weeks notice. They are building multiple buildings, even though hospital census is down across the nation. They think that they can beef up business by building more outpt centers in more areas. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these could all be empty buildings, if there is no insurance coverage, and no elective surgeries with the economy being down. They put out a plea to all employees system wide to brainstorm for them and come up with ways to save money! This is so ridiculous, now that they have already set the wheels in motion for their decline and downfall.

I worked for over 9.5 years in the Inova system. I came with 23 years of hospital experience. I know a thing or two about being in this type of environment. I took plenty of your employee surveys and gave feedback - a lot of which appeared to be ignored. My supervisors were all focused on us making them look good, meet their deadlines, come in on their budget, etc.
    I worked with employee relations to communicate concerns, and the answer was always to "work with your supervisor" - well, when your supervisor is completely out of touch with what you are talking about, there is no solution that you can agree upon.

Great group of employees, struggling to stay afloat with turmoil in management

Current Employee - Surgical Tech II  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Surgical Tech II in Fairfax, VA

Pros

The group of people i work directly with in the OR are great coworkers and friends as well. We care about eachother and definitely for our patients.

the experience you can gain working in a level 1 trauma center is unparalleled.

Cons

in the year and a half ive been at Inova, there has been several management changes and little consistency. Out of 4 people in current management positions, 2 of them have clinical experience. A lot of changes and decisions are made that greatly impact the staff with no
    influence from the staff.

we are currently required to take 40 hours of call in a 6 week period, and that requirement changes frequently due to a lack of staff.

currently there are at least 7 travelers in the department which decreases moral for permanent staff because travelers come and go with little regard and no loyalty to Inova, its difficult to adjust to the constant fluctuation of travelers and their working styles, and of course compensation varies largely between permanent and temporary staff.

Each room has its own environment and needs and varies day to day. what works today may not work tomorrow, so consider the staffs opinions on what will and wont help before making giant decisions about things.

instead of paying so much to fill positions with temporary workers with no loyalty, try paying your permanent staff a little more and rewarding them for all the hard work they do.

develop a plan for advancement. ive been told for months that even tho a tech III position is a possibility, that there is no current standard for being a tech III and thus the tech II's are unable to move up.

There are newer employer reviews for Inova.

Worked for Inova? Contribute to the Community!