Insight

www.insight.com
  www.insight.com
There are newer employer reviews for Insight

Great starting point, then get out

Former Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Tempe, AZ
Former Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's really easy to get hired into sales at Insight - every other halfway decent company may want you to have experience, so Insight is great place to start when you have NONE. It's basically where you go to pay your dues, or "serve your time" as many of us refer to it, so you can get tech sales experience and then move on to a better job.

Just look at it as a way to win free stuff and get some free lunches while networking with people who will all be working somewhere else someday soon and getting the experience you need to move on.

Cons

The sales training isn't very good so you're basically having to figure it out yourself.
Lots of cold calling.
Expectations and quotas are always changing.
Compensation plan is always changing as well, making it harder and harder for you to earn commission.
Upper management sets the direction and doesn't really care about how it affects the sales people, and your sales manager may care, but not enough to speak up for fear of losing his/her job.

There needs to be an entire culture shift and I doubt that's likely to happen. The sales force drives the revenue of the business and yet gets screwed at every turn. Nobody feels like they can speak up about how they really feel for fear of just getting fired.

196 Other Employee Reviews for Insight (View Most Recent)

Used to be good

Former Employee - Manufacturer Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Manufacturer Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your coworkers are amazing, the only reason why I stayed so long. It paid the bills as long as I was being bonused, but if you specialize in a declining category and you're given growth goals guess what happens? You learn to live off your slim base salary.

Cons

People with no managerial experience are hired as managers. They make decisions that they really don't understand and they are not the ones that have to deal with the fall out due to those. They don't take the time to learn the business and it can be very frustrating for those who are in the day to day grind. I also had a manager prevent me from putting in for a promotion when there were no grounds to do so. When the person that was supposed to guide me and help build me instead destroyed me, after almost a decade at a place I once loved and never dreamt I would leave; I knew it was time to move on.

Hire managers because they have real world experience, not fancy degrees. Pay attention to NBD data and give realistic goals. If someone knows there is absolutely no way they can hit their quotas, they won't be motivated to work harder because what is the point? Give them something achievable and they will work harder for it.

Good place to work, but don't look at this place as a place to stay for too long

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible on when you show up for work. They want you there 8 hours a day, but depending on your manager somewhat flexible. Vendors throw parties and give away a ton of things to those who work hard selling their product. Sometimes you get free lunch by a vendor. You are allowed to have 2 beers for lunch if you go offsite.

Cons

Changes to compensation happens almost every year. Upper Management always says its to help you make more money, but then they raise the quotas or change what buckets you have to hit to make more money. They promise things like "services" to customers but Insight has never been able to get the services part done right. They don't focus on small businesses so if you are new or in the Small Business division you get treated like the red headed step child.

Start focusing on keeping quality people there instead of changing the way they get paid every year. Also get to know your reps and find out what drives them and what they would like to do. I would start up the education program again and focus on getting more people certified in the different technology. If there is a sales rep that is CCNA certified or Microsoft Certified then his chances of selling more or help selling their product. Allow more reps to work from home part of the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Insight