Frustrating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Instaclick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, easy work, little contact with peers (if that's your thing)

Cons

Bad management, no clear goals, lack of training, you must be friends with management if you don't want to get fired/be disciplined when something goes wrong, lack of promotions, rampant nepotism

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and give them help when they need it. Don't criticize when it's not valid, and try to appreciate them more

reviews filtered by

Professionalism? What professionalism??

I worked at Instaclick

Pros

-Casual dress code
    -Relaxed environment
    -Fun monthly team building activities/lunch
    -Good exposure to various types of technology
    -Excellent benefits where it covers 100% of pretty much everything
    -People are generally very nice and friendly

Cons

Let me just start by saying that my beef isn't with the people that I worked with, but it's with the laughable management team of this company.

-Extremely unprofessional work environment
    -Profanities flying left right and center
    -Horrible/complete lack of leadership
    -Zero direction and guidance from direct manager
    -Zero feedback from management
    -Zero training provided
    -Extremely cliquey
    -Management doesn't know how to delegate
    -Joke of a performance review. Basically, you'll be told you're doing great, but next thing you know, you're terminated for no good reason
    -Don't expect HR to have your back, they'll be on the manager's side and terminate you for reporting problems to them. So in essence, they are completely useless

Advice to Management

Please train your middle management. They need training badly because they really have no clue in how to manage properly. And I honestly doubt any of them has any real people management experience. And the attempt to befriend your staff is not a good strategy either.

2. A Surprisingly Good First Time Job Opportunity

I worked at Instaclick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the six or so months leading up to being hired by Instaclick, I was on the ropes as far as job prospects looked. Considering that my experience was lacking – read none – leading up to my interview, I wasn't exactly optimistic about making the cut. Sure, I had some education on my side, but enjoying scholarships and grants without getting any part-time work or internships really put me behind the curve when it came time to find a job. Thankfully, Instaclick was willing to hear my personal sales pitch and valued creativity and drive in its prospective employees – a reoccurring theme during my entire time there.

After getting into a rhythm with the hustle and bustle that comes with a daily nine to five, I started growing immensely as a professional. Sure, there were a few speed bumps along the way, but the best thing about working at Instaclick, for me at least, was having management that I could go to when I felt stressed or unsure about the direction of my daily and long-term work. After looking at some of the horror stories on this site for other companies, it's unfortunate that this kind of open and honest discussion and guidance is the exception and not the rule in so many industries.

Cons

As far as the negatives go, two things stand out to me. First is the parking predicament that you've probably seen on some of the other reviews. However, it's kind of hard to deal with that type of issue considering the layout of the building and the surrounding areas, but what can you really do about that?

Aside from the sketchy parking situation, the workload can be a little daunting if you're not motivated. Again, this one's more of a personal issue, but for the lazy ones out there – myself included at times – you can't slip through the cracks like you could at other jobs. It might be a little odd to add this to the cons section since it's just management trying to keep up with the massive workload that comes in, but it's an honest concern for those of you who are looking for a free ride on the gravy train.

Advice to Management

If I could tell management anything, it's to never take the focus of off the workers. Although I've gone in a different direction with my career plans, I can only hope to find another company that helps make things as comfortable for first time employees as Instaclick. Oh and one more thing; they could use more cookies at the snack bar. Sure, apples and oranges are better for your health, but there are just some days when you need a good cookie to make it closing time.