Institute of Reading Development

www.readingprograms.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Institute of Reading Development

Decent short-term employment, with nowhere to go in the long-tern

Current Employee - Seasonal Employee in Novato, CA
Current Employee - Seasonal Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

Depending on your supervisor, lots of flexibility and room for growth
Job is pretty easy

Cons

If you get the wrong supervisor, you can end up with basically no support and your employment is likely to be doomed from the start
Tasks can be repetitive and seemingly trivial

Advice to Management

Try to get ahead of technology instead of running behind it

reviews filtered by
  1. misinformed regarding applicability to advanced readers who didnt have special needs

Former Employee - Sales in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Novato, CA

I worked at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

organized, good camaraderie with other salespeople, flexible schedule when needed, thorough training, good location, good program for certain types of students

Cons

good training, good program for average and especially below average readers but not appropriate and a waste of time and money for honors bound students- although we were taught to use a different script to entice parents of advanced kids.

If you like teaching and reading, take the job. It's tough work, though.

Former Employee - Summer Teacher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Institute of Reading Development

Pros

Agree with the previous poster on most points...

1. Good experience in front of classrooms of varying ages and abilities
    2. Co-workers are interesting, like-minded, smart persons who enjoy education and literature
    3. My direct supervisor was phenomenal. Available, knowledgeable, incredibly supportive. My other supervisor, whose job title was "Teaching Support," dealt with the practicalities of the job (site issues, materials issues/needs). Supervision is a + here. You're definitely thrown in the deep end, but with substantial help.
    4. Pay was pretty good considering the seasonal nature of the work. Expect to take home $550-$600/week. $50/class session with bonuses if you're willing to travel.
    5. Employees are put through rigorous (and paid!) training for several weeks. I felt rather prepared to teach their curriculum
    5. Tough job, but I was informed of this early on. The difficulties were never hidden from me.

Cons

1. The job was very consuming. Although I was informed of the "off the clock" work (data entry, travel, phone calls to some parents regarding their children), I didn't understand exactly how my life would be seemingly taken over by the position. It's intense. You're told this at the outset, but be prepared. It's not one of those jobs you can leave after you "clock out." My scheduled in-class time was about 30 hours/week. Travel, including a long-distance assignment, totaled about 10-12 hours/week. Data entry, preparation, superivsory check-ins totaled about 5 hours/week. If you want to do it well, you'll do more than 40 hours/week of actual work for this job.
    2. Parents who sign their kids up expect you to be an expert on both child education and children's literature. Understandable, but frustrating based upon the fact that the Institute trains you to be an expert on their curriculum, not child education in general. Often and embarrassingly, the best answer I could give to parents was to refer them to the curriculum materials.
    3. Materials. Expect to receive about 30+ large boxes full of books and other materials for you to hand out over the course of the 2 term summer. Keeping your inventory straight is a challenge. Though IRD management has provided two direct supervisors for each teacher, your personal inventory is your responsibility. If you're incapable of being extremely organized, this job isn't for you.
    4. Drove my old Jeep into the ground for this job :-(.

Advice to Management

1. Update the book lists to be less conservative and Western-centric. For example, if you're going to have a list of important historical non-fiction, you should include things like Marx. If you're going to put a book arguing against Darwinism in the science section, you should include pro-Darwinian resources to balance the list.
    2. Agree with the previous poster. In-class supervision would have been great.
    3. Get formally paid for all the prep. work one puts in daily