Institute of Real Estate Management

www.irem.org
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Institute of Real Estate Management

this place is like high school all over again

Former Employee - Editor in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Editor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Institute of Real Estate Management

Pros

Great location and building. Office is right on michigan ave, across from tribune tower. IREM offers flex time, so you get to choose your hours. Full time hours are considered 37.50 hours, not 40. Great health insurance and 401(k) benefits. That's about it.

Cons

Poor respect and communication from upper management. Not a very receptive, friendly atmosphere. Your desk is also in one of the smallest cubicles I have ever seen in my life. What I found the most odd was how the place only has about 50 people there, but the division between management and everyone else is insane. Very political and full of cliques.

Advice to Management

Have more respect for your employees and give them feedback on their job performance, whether good or bad.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Easy and Superficial

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Institute of Real Estate Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The everyday workflow is easy, monotonous, and non challenging. So much so that you have ample time to enthrall yourself in whatever you like; once you complete your work of course. Good environment, great investments and matching, fun parties, but pretty superficial and average.

Cons

Growth is limited by small departments, excessive meetings (which associations are known for), and did I mention superficial.

Advice to Management

Retire.

2. Good room for growth, salaries on the low side

Former Employee - Education in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Education in Chicago, IL

I worked at Institute of Real Estate Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A solid organization where many people stay for a long time. Decent benefits and overall small enough to be a caring environment. The company culture varies greatly from department to department, and same with flexibility on things like working from home. I understand they have adapted well to new work culture expectations and relaxed the dress code and remote working policies, which is great. Overall a good place to be if you are in a nice department. Solid work-life balance.

Cons

Some workplace cliquishness, especially in certain departments. Some leadership conflicts between VPs had a negative trickle-down effect on morale. In many ways needs to modernize its testing for its educational offerings to streamline the amount of "busy work" that it pays people to do.

Advice to Management

Keep an ear to the ground about workplace culture, especially in departments that seem to have a revolving door for certain roles. A lot of good people came and went when I was there because of issues with one or two specific people. Keep up the nimble attitude toward adapting to new work expectations so you keep the great people you have.