Amazing Startup Culture

Current Employee - Engineer
Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Instructure full-time

Pros

Incredible facility
Uber smart people
Great mission
Fantastic management
Everyone gets stock options

I'm really glad I came to work here.

Cons

No 401k matching
Going through growing pains
Dealing with some technical debt, but the company gives us the freedom to fix it

I can't think of a lot of other cons. It's a great place to work.

Other Reviews for Instructure

'Plenty of hype, plenty of ego, and noticeably unprofessional'

Former Employee - L1 Technical Representative  in  Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - L1 Technical Representative in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

This position was a great place to lie low and take advantage of a decent startup paycheck.

They are 'continually growing' and as such you may have room for advancement to higher positions and better paychecks, though not necessarily better positions.

Unfortunately all of the benefits or incentives they try to sell to bid the company up are not worth the overall frustration you may feel in this position, or many other position in the company for that matter.

I could list the 'great views', the stock options they offer you, maybe the food in the kitchens? But honest to god none of that makes a dent into the frustrations you might feel in your position after just 2 - 4 months of work.

The people here openly encourage and accept their 'noticeably unprofessional' culture. Most people here believe their 'noticeably unprofessional' culture is a benefit of the company.

If you are a yes man and know how to tell enough people what they want hear you'll fit right in at this company.

Cons

The L1 Technical Representative position is nowhere near a good position to work in.

About 1/4th of the work you'll do has nothing to do with the 'tech' responsibilities you are familiar with in other tech support positions. You'll tell students and instructors they have the wrong number more times than you'll actually deal with a real troubleshooting case.

You may wonder what the position responsibilities are, though don't count on getting any real idea of the responsibilities. They tell you you'll be doing technical support, though 1/3rd to half of the work you do every day is receptionist services for 5 of the nations largest colleges.

After about 3 months you may learn the strengths and weaknesses of the product. Many times will be spent explaining to instructors why there is a ridiculously simple bug or why the product is missing simple features.

In the year and 5 months that I worked in the position I had 4 different supervisors none of which, except the last one I had actually had a real idea of how to take the reigns of the position and be a true leader. Three of them were figureheads who were promoted simply because they were there and not because they were qualified.

After constant efforts spanning many months to discuss my thoughts with the supervisors I saw very little effort on the supervisors part to help the position become any more organized, though this was also sometimes due to restrictions from their supervisors.

When you become stressed because of the responsibilities of the positions the first thing they will tell you is that you need a vacation, as if the vacation is the fix to the real problem.

In the L1 Tech position you are told to put up with so much nonsense after so long you may become chronically depressed due to the nonsense(stress) of the position. I myself became overwhelmed and saw other folks become incredibly disorganized due to the lack of organization of the responsibilities of the position.

The largest and most unfortunate con about this company is their solid focus to IPO.
    The management team is in such a frenzy to do something the media and markets will hype up by the time they IPO. Because of this they are distracted to the core of their business.

The management team has changed so many times you'd think this company was toxic by the rate people are leaving.

About one out of every 8 or 9 people that have hired on in the past 5 years have left within a year or so.
    The folks that leave the company are more often dissatisfied with the experience because of the management or the lack thereof. This company is more becoming a resume piece than a career place.

Because of frenzy to IPO the CEO is pushing many projects on the engineers. There is no customer focused or driven development. The product dev strategy is to get features out and fix stupid things as customers find them.

The main software product of the company, Canvas, is not anywhere near the best out there and is no way any less confusing than competitor products. Yeah maybe it does have a visually attractive 'color scheme', but the layout of the features on the pages are too busy and unattractive.
    The user interface and the layout of the features are fresh from the dev box and unintuitive, they could spend a bit more time thinking about how the user interface could be tuned up.

Instructure Response

Nov 27, 2013Director, Human Resources

We pride ourselves on an open culture, where the quality of your work is more meaningful than the title you hold. Our culture is unique and important to us and its definitely not for everybody ... More

Not for everyone

I worked at Instructure

Pros

Happy people, startup, family oriented, good intentions great product, bright people, small and agile.

Cons

Not for everyone, biased, more supportive of some people than others, lack of training, not good messaging to employees, inconsistent.
    Utah based, field not supported as well. No caffeine. No beer bashes.

There are newer employer reviews for Instructure.

Worked for Instructure? Contribute to the Community!