Integral Group

www.integralgroup.com
  www.integralgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Integral Group

Achieve career excellence, and positive environmental and social impact through your work, every day.

Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Integral Group

Pros

Net Zero Energy building design expertise
collaborative and integrative design environment
truly sustainable buildings
challenging the status quo on every project
opportunity for high impact, no matter what level you're at
awesome projects and clients
career advancement and responsibility - - no barriers to growth
great team and people - fun place to work
mentors at every turn, amazing education opportunities

Cons

IT infrastructure could be a bit better (computers and software)
long hours when project deadlines approach; difficult to balance work and personal life in these situations

keep making strategic long term hires
keep inspiring staff and educating them about the difference they're making
I love the monthly staff meetings and company updates, keep it up

8 Other Employee Reviews for Integral Group (View Most Recent)

A environment of collaboration, innovation and design excellence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Integral Group

Pros

-I am surrounded by people passionate about innovation and providing the best design and analysis for their clients.
    -Collaboration is standard operating procedure here.
    -Education opportunities are rich: we have weekly lunch and learns, are encouraged to take continuing education classes and seminars.
    -We "walk the talk": this is a green office. Energy efficiency and sustainability is practiced through-out the office.
    -Oakland office is a showcase of what we can do: we designed it to be the highest points, lowest cost per sf LEED Platinum in the world
    -Great benefits, not just health insurance, but bike to work, organic fruit, lunchtime running clubs...

Cons

Having grown from a small to mid-size company, we are still perceived by some clients as small.

Constriction of economy has limited the size and scope of projects coming in.

Continue to foster transparency in business objectives and direction.

Set Integral apart from other engineering companies by continuing to take only the best and greenest projects.

Tap into employee's pride in working for such a cutting edge company.

Share challenges --not just triumphs-- with employees.

The vision and quality of projects at Integral Group are what make me excited to come in to work and get things done.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Integral Group

Pros

Best vision of any engineering company I know of. The leadership is genuinely guided by a compelling vision for the future based on a deep understanding of the crises facing our society. This is not a company run by profit motive, this is a company that is fueled *from the top* by a deep passion for making the world a better place. Number one reason why I work here.

Innovation is encouraged. There is a looseness in structure that allows motivated people to come up with their own ideas for how to do things and run with them. An individual has the potential to take initiative and Make Things Happen.

Every project is unique and exciting. Nothing is cookie cutter here, no designs are cut n paste. "Rule of Thumb" is a dirty word. Every project is challenging and stimulating.

There is a sense of camaraderie that comes from working on interesting work and always pushing boundaries. Some of my best friends are my coworkers here. There are some amazing, creepy-smart, passionate people here, and I love working with them.

Office drama is very low. People are here to get work done.

Cons

The aforementioned looseness in structure can make efficient workflows difficult and frustrating to attain. Seat of your pants engineering can grind you down and burn you out.

The seat of your pants culture here can make it difficult for new ideas or workflows to get implemented. Often good ideas get cast to the side during crunch time. It's easy to propose and come up with new ideas: the act of making those changes stick isn't trivial. This can be very frustrating and make people feel like their opinions and/or feedback aren't being respected.

In the same way that the company is driven by vision and passion instead of profit, benefits and compensation don't take a first-row seat here (although they're not terrible). People are motivated to work here for the innovation and the vision, not for the benefit package.

Project-focused, not people-focused. This backfires - project work suffers because of the lack of focus on people.

Attention paid to cultivating a particular, specific, and compelling company culture. The current culture isn't weak, but it's not intentional. It's organic. The vision for the work the company does is strong and clear: the vision for the culture of how those awesome projects are carried out is lacking. I'm talking about something very focused on people, and it's *people* who make or break a company. It's not clear, based on actions, that management understands this fully.

I don't think anyone here now has the time to pull this off, regardless of if anyone has the skill/knowledge to do so (maybe).

Regardless of the challenges of _how_ to make this happen (just details, right?), the challenge is to do this with authenticity. Especially here, we'll smell corporate bs a mile away and it'll backfire. PR gimmicks don't work in 2012 and it would be a shame to see those attempted.

There are newer employer reviews for Integral Group