Intel Corporation

www.intel.com
  www.intel.com
There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation

Great place to work & very good opportunities but pay could be better

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Overall it's a very good company to work for. Most of the work is very interesting and cutting edge, especially in engineering & marketing. There are lots of opportunities to move around, both temporary and permanent. Benefits and perks are generally pretty good but perks will vary depending on the job. Management tends to be flexible on things like hours and telecommuting, again depends on the job though.

Cons

My only major grip is compensation - even in very profitable times (like now), annual salary increases are really poor, averaging only 2-3%, which doesn't even keep up with inflation (A very good raise is only like 5%, even on promos). Bonuses make up for some of that but they have also sharply cut retirement contributions, stock purchase plans and stock options over the last 10 years. Always negotiate the highest starting salary possible if you take a job here.

We had an exceptional 2011 and yet we get 2.2% raises?? I am fully aware of the TCOMP package, but please, would it kill you guys to give us a decent annual increase that at least keeps up with inflation?? The senior execs consistently get double digit base salary increases but I haven't seen that for the average employee since the 90's...

4037 Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation (View Most Recent)

Good exposure and experience.

Current Employee - Software & Systems Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software & Systems Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

one of the best for hardware / Computer Engineers.
    excellent work life balance.
    depends on which group u join though.

Cons

100,000 people company.
    S/W engineering appreciation not there in all places.
    need to manage lot of relations
    some office locations in areas where u may not find many other options

think ahead.
    move into Saas or Paas more.

Grinding out incremental improvements belatedly

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

If you want a 9ish to 5ish sort of job, this is your place. No one works on weekends, and no one but managers (and moi) seem to even check their email when not at the office. The stock recently moved a little for the first time in ten years. I have very fortunate to have been blessed with the opportunity to learn some new programming things, but I would not count on learning anything new (that's transportable) if you've been doing any kind of embedded development for any length of time.

Cons

A dearth of genuine software innovation. What seems to be a lemming-like mindset amongst many employees; too often it seems like a joyless rut for many. It's in Santa Clara. ;) But, as with anything, it is what you make of it, which is sometimes a bit of a trial.

You missed the boat on mobile computing, but maybe you can still get ahead of the curve on speech, although Apple is already adding features to their mobile chips to support speech algorithms, so you may not get in those devices for a while.

There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation