Intel Corporation

www.intel.com

Stay away from manufacturing

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Benefits are equivalent or better to what you'd find somewhere else and the cost of living is lower.

Cons

I'm posting this review to help new Ph.D job seekers avoid the situation I found after I joined Intel as a process engineer. First, most of what they tell you at the job interview is incorrect. Anyone receiving a completely honest picture of the job would likely turn it down, so a lot of sugar coating occurs.

After you show up, things change. 24x7 on call for months on end. Boring repetitive work. Insulting and downright rude management. What's not to like?

You'll also find that those skills you fought so hard for in graduate school aren't even required and someone with much less schooling could do exactly the same thing. Most of the work involves tracking, copying and pasting. These are low level engineering jobs, but internal policy requires that they be filled with recent graduates holding advanced degrees. Many people leave after a year or two, and Intel considers this to be the cost of doing business. The general attitude is "shut up and get back to work or get out."

People in the software side of the business seem to be genuinely happy and well treated. Its a large company and great places to work do exist. Just stay away from the manufacturing and process development work.

"Great place to work" is a wonderful slogan. Putting posters up on the wall does not make it true.

Other reviews for Intel Corporation

Its been a good experience. Exactly the kind of career starting job I was hoping to land after college.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

Cons

The good: Just a very solid industry leading company. The base pay could be better but the bonuses are pretty good. Oregon is a great place to live.

The bad: Work life balance is there for some but non-existent for others. Not everyone pulls their weight. Not all teams work at the same level of intensity. Poor track record in hiring and retaining individuals from underrepresented minorities groups, though the company is trying to improve this. Both Oregon and California have high state income tax.

It is hard work, but I love the pride I feel because of the cutting edge technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

It is a leader in its field, and is constantly innovating; it values the environment and has vast community outreach programs; I derive pride from the fact that we are 2- 4 years ahead of our competitors in process technology because of the hard work that we do.

Cons

Very small office cubicles, dull office environment that projects a feeling of miserliness on the part of the company

Spend more on making the work place brighter, more cheerful; offer more freebies like Google and facebook, such as free food, on-site daycare, game rooms, pools, etc

There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation.

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!