Stay away from manufacturing

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Benefits are equivalent or better to what you'd find somewhere else and the cost of living is lower.

Cons

I'm posting this review to help new Ph.D job seekers avoid the situation I found after I joined Intel as a process engineer. First, most of what they tell you at the job interview is incorrect. Anyone receiving a completely honest picture of the job would likely turn it down, so a lot of sugar coating occurs. After you show up, things change. 24x7 on call for months on end. Boring repetitive work. Insulting and downright rude management. What's not to like? You'll also find that those skills you fought so hard for in graduate school aren't even required and someone with much less schooling could do exactly the same thing. Most of the work involves tracking, copying and pasting. These are low level engineering jobs, but internal policy requires that they be filled with recent graduates holding advanced degrees. Many people leave after a year or two, and Intel considers this to be the cost of doing business. The general attitude is "shut up and get back to work or get out." People in the software side of the business seem to be genuinely happy and well treated. Its a large company and great places to work do exist. Just stay away from the manufacturing and process development work.

Advice to Management

"Great place to work" is a wonderful slogan. Putting posters up on the wall does not make it true.

Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation

1. some days were fun and others stressful, but overall a great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

you can work hard and jump ahead quickly or slow down when you need to.

Cons

Management at the NM site is not very good

Advice to Management

Middle managers need more technical knowledge.

2. I thoroughly enjoyed working with intelligent, stimulating people.

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Folsom, CA

Pros

In IT people were very experienced with at minimum 10 years at Intel so all knew what they were talking about and mutually respected each other and were enthusiastic about the project and working there. Security and access to needed data or information was the biggest pain as justification was always needed with sign offs by supervisors. I was allowed to build a dimensional model without any interference. My knowledge and experience was accepted.

Cons

Security and access to needed data or information was the biggest pain as justification was always needed with sign offs by supervisors. Data modeling architecture is fiercely controlled with reviews. This is good but a painful step as the architects only know 3rd Normal form when the dimensional model is denormalized.

Advice to Management

It management was changed and the subsequent reorganization released all our contractors who were working on our project. This delayed our project substantially. Keep some status quo when changing until you understand the effect change will have on the on-going projects.