Intel Corporation

www.intel.com
  www.intel.com
There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation

Not for everyone, but can be a Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Hillsboro, OR
Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

For the best performers, Intel provides the greatest stage on which to perform. Silicon and software drive the industry, and Intel SW engineers see the future of silicon years before their peers at other companies. For example, there is no better place to explore parallel computing, Linux or system firmware.

Cons

Intel can be a mind-numblingly complicated organization to navigate, and your success as a new employee is very likely to depend on the quality of your first manager- choose carefully!

Pay more attention keeping teams together when business circumstances require shutting down a project. Give intact teams new projects.

3868 Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation (View Most Recent)

Intel - Your Career is placed in your manager's hands.

Current Employee - Validation Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Validation Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

They are currently improving the work environment by adding some perks such as free soda and fruits. There are a large variety of departments, divisions, and resources throughout Intel that one can move to in order to expand their career. When dealing with other companies, you receive somewhat special treatment when they know you work for Intel.

Cons

Management is very problematic. You are graded each year on a bell curve, which designates your raise and stock options. So 15% on the employee within a group will always received a below average grade no matter how much work they have done. Employees are also ranked within a group based on their value. This makes work somewhat competitive and does not promote teamwork. These grades are also solely based on what your manager thinks, therefore if your manager does not know how much work you are doing, you may not be graded fairly despite this being your manager's fault. A bad manager can really prevent your career growth at Intel, no matter how well you perform.

Cubicles are mostly compressed making space somewhat limited. There are no offices. Some higher ups receive larger cubicles.

Work-Life balance is in the hands of your manager. Bad managers will tend to accept any project or requirements despite not having the head count, requiring that any current members of the group work overtime in order to meet these added requirements.

Recognition can be extremely poor and unfair. Often some people that work on a project are not recognized for their contribution due to them not directly working with the customer. Other times people are recognized (such as managers) for completing under resourced projects even though they do not contribute anything.

I would permanently remove a bell curve and ranking system. This promotes competitiveness and unfairness. If everyone is working 60 hour weeks, then everyone should receive positive feedback.

Recognize employees and pay attention to what they are actually working on. Don't forget about the players working on a project even though they aren't the project leader or being dealt with directly.

unappreciated and overlooked

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Folsom, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

Its wonderful from a career point of view to be involved in designing state of the art technological products. Intel is great at showing a professional appeal to be part of creating something new and exciting. Very few companies are ready to challenge the boundaries and take risks like Intel does. I got a few opportunities for learning how to improve current designs and execute engineering principles. Most other places would be content in a steady cash flow and not try to grow horizontally. I really liked their policy of venturing out on products other than just microprocessors. I hope that the next place that hires me will show similar charisma.

Cons

I was hired as an intern (for almost a year) in a group that got downsized to just 3 members initally (for over a month). I was led to believe that I was part of something big and rewarding and as long as I worked hard and smart, I would have a real good shot at being a full time employee. I helped in the initiation of new hires and within a couple of months we were a team of 8. I tried my best to be a team player but I never got the same feeling from the other members. My manager was extremely ambitious and most people did not like him since he was new at it. I had no such issues and was actually very impressed with his work ethics. I also did not like how much time was spent in meetings. If I had a few more experienced and helpful people in my group, I think I would have left with a less bitter taste. Also giving feedback for the sake of giving feedback is not really constructive.

The senior management in my opinion was very distant. I understand that they were under a lot of pressure but thats not an excuse to not show a bit of humility. In most cases they were all about setting very very strict deadlines to keep the customers happy. In my opinion they were not good at time management or handling their resources. Hiring more skilled people early on and delegating the right amount of work could have prevented a lot of ill-feeling inside the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation