Intel Corporation

www.intel.com

Leader has lost its way

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsIntel has been a highly recognized industry leader that compensates its employees well; high salary, 2 bonuses per year, stock options (grant plus RSUs), great medical plan (Cigna) and other great benefits. The Intel name looks great on your resume and can boost your career. Intel has many very intelligent and dedicated employees that want the company to succeed. But...

ConsThe best way to currently describe Intel is "High Risk". The company has struggled with poor leadership and has stopped living the core values that made Intel great. Since founder Andy Grove retired, an executive power struggle ensued over the past 10 years and many of the best senior managers have left for better opportunities or due to health issues. Intel has prided itself in driving industry transitions but has absolutely missed the mobile revolution (smartphones and tablets) and is ill positioned to catch up to it's ARM competition (Apple, Qualcomm, Samsung, TI, etc). There is little work-life balance despite frequent HR programs to improve moral so expect to typically work 60-70 hours per week and in excess of 80 during peek times, including early morning, late evening and weekends. I traveled up to 60% of the time domestic and international but 20-30% is typical. Bottom line is your family and you will pay for the pay. I worked there for over 20 years, loved the first several years and believed that I would finish my career at Intel. Then things changed and would now not consider returning again.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake wholesale changes before it is too late: exec team must visibly role model original Intel values and refocus the entire company on them, remove excessive senior management (grade 10+) and get senior managers to cooperate together for benefit of company, eliminate rank and rate reviews and motivate teams to work together for common goals, shutter unsuccessful business units and dramatically scale back corporate programs offering little ROI, listen to your customers and sell strategically instead of driving customers to follow your roadmaps which are no longer industry leading, bet the boat on the Atom processor because if you loose the low power transition then you'll be relegated to niches of servers and gaming platforms. Don't pretend to be a platform company when you realistically sell just processors and comms. Intel is not a SW company and never will be so don't waste any more time trying. Stop buying other companies because you haven't successfully integrated a single one, thus wasting billions of dollars. Hope your manufacturing team continues to lead process transitions because this is strategically critical.

Top folks are really great, but a lot of deadweight and politics

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Good pay when you factor in the EB. Though they've started to cap the EB percentage. The top 10% are really smart, the next 15% are… Cons: The remaining 75% are "meh". Very, very political. If you tread on the wrong territory, even unknowingly, your project will be killed and your career possibly… Advice to Senior Management: Promote more technical leaders to executive management. Have engineers running engineering orgs. (Engineers who have delivered product.) Need to think outside the box (or… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Excellent pay and benefits. Company treats employees very well indeed.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Fantastic pay, flexible time off, smart and passionate people. Opportunity… Cons: Dispersed workforce can impact team dynamics - many people prefer face-to-face interactions… Advice to Senior Management: Make the Employee Bonus adjusted by performance. Having a fixed payout regardless of performance ranking removes much of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Intel Corporation.

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!