Intel Corporation

www.intel.com
  www.intel.com
There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation

Facilities / Construction / Engineering - Experience of U.S.A & international sites

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

Interesting advanced engineering systems / installations

Cons

Very poor employee morale.
Very poor working environment / atmosphere.
Very poor time management with employees (perhaps due to workloads) resulting in VERY common ('the norm') behaviour such as not to show up to pre-arranged meetings.
Blame culture, particularly applied to Suppliers.
Very common to find unapproachable, 'hot-headed' and unprofessional staff who think that hard nosed / kick-ass attitudes are the only way to get results from Suppliers.

Review your hiring policies / practices.
Spend some time and money finding true route causes for: lack of motivation, blame culture. Aim for a semi-pleasant work environment (at least).
Don't think that due to the companies size that you will have an indispensable supply of Vendors who will choose to work for you when market conditions change

3748 Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation (View Most Recent)

Hold promise for new college grads, the opportunities fade to nothing over time

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In major campuses like Oregon(Hillsboro). There are giant cafes in the office with free fruit/beverage/tea/ice makers. This really helps me not go without eating.

Employee discounts on various things are often times quite good with Intel's various customers (laptops, tablets, phones, wireless carriers). The program is pretty efficient and you can easily find these discounts. There is a credit union ATM in the office locations this is an excellent benefit.

The Intel ESPP used to give a good gain on 10% of income but its only 5% now, its a nearly sure-thing gain of 15%. Apparently nearly everyone who can afford it participates in the program. The Dental and Medical plans have been great over the years and have allowed me to save money and get free lab work from the health plan. I avoid paying for a physical and lab work each year with my doctor using the health for life option.

Flu shots are available in the office, this is excellent hygiene for the employees. 2012 was the first year that i believe they did not charge for it. But it was worth paying for it. They also completed installation of a medical clinic in JF5 (Oregon) for employees in 2012.

The Intel Group life insurance is a good option to let people carry insurance on the payroll. I really appreciate the voluntary upgrade nature that is offered to employees.

Cons

Intel has a ruthless review system. In the system they pidgin hole people into lower rankings and this means you get nothing for raises and may even be put on a corrective action plan if your unlucky enough to be targeted. They used to announce quotas for this in the past, but now the quota is unannounced and there is apparently a fixed budget. So these days 2010-2012 cycles the lower level organization must spend the budget and justify it to those who lose out. I feel like i've been targeted only once and given ho-hum reviews twice, and only one promotion. I can tell that we're chasing business and opportunities, but looking up the org chart i hear a lot of 'lets do that' and it comes with no additional people. When we use outsourcing its a mess and just makes more work for the existing employees. My organization had a very well talented intern quit and walk out!

I am eternally frustrated and panicked almost every week about expectations which i have come to realize are unfair, unrealistic and causing me real physical and emotional harm. Its not that i'm weak, its that they ask too much and don't care if its chaos.

My advise to folks is to negotiate very high if you want to work here, you could go years without raises or promotions.

Every year there are great improvements in the ORG health survey. It feels like most things that matter to me are getting worse. I have more work to do then i did 3 years ago, i have fewer resources to do that work, more infrastructure, more dealing with contractors, and less work life balance. Org Health Survey seems to be fatally flawed in that focal is such a mystery/myth and it can't fix that. When i talk to my co-workers i get the impression raises are for the few, and coming up with an excuse why not for everyone else is the point of the program. Once the recession is over i would expect people to leave Intel especially if they've been mis-treated by the focal system.

Contractor's Disease (it is catchy)

Former Employee - IT Projects  in  Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - IT Projects in Folsom, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very good pay from the recruiting company

Cons

I wore a green badge and I was treated like I had a communicable disease. I was openly and publicly disrespected, I was publicly yelled at, I was elminated from conversations (regarding the job I was doing), I was called a liar to my face by a blue badge employee. I came into this job with as much experience as the perm employees, yet I was dismissed by a manager who was too busy to deal with the situation created by those perm employees. Since I was the contractor, it was easier to let me go, than to appropriately deal/discipline the offending employees. All this happend in less than 6 weeks.

No amount of advice is going to change the hearts and minds of those managers who have been there too long and don't see that change is important and relevant. Good luck, maybe someday you might be able to push your stock up out of the flat lands into something that resembles a hill or a mountain.

There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!