Intel Corporation

www.intel.com

Terrific cutting edge EE associations; excellent pay and benefits; horrible work/life balance with high turnover. Wear y

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsBest overall association with some of the highest level scientists out there. Extremely competative between internal teams, but this brings out the talents and creativity of everyone. Salary plus bonuses and stock participation plans are very good compaired to the industry. An 8-week sabbatical every 7 years for all full time employees is terrific and seems about right timing-wise, because most employees are entirely burned out by then and need a break. Senior leadership is very strong at Intel -- what I would consider true vision-generating leaders. And the open-door polocy to talk with any of them is real. Not quite so with first-line managers (see below). When faced with mid year or year-end layoffs (see below) Intel does a terrific job of offering very fair and beneficial separation packages, rather than just walking the poor individual to the door with a cardboard box of cubicle pics and mementos. Generally, the employee is given a 3-month notice that he or she will be going into a "pool" and then an HR specialist is assigned to help the individual find another like-job somewhere else in the company. I would say this is successful maybe 50% of the time. If the employee decides just to leave then and not look for another internal job, the separation package typically ammounts to 1-month for every year worked in exit pay, plus other benefits such as extendede insurance coverage etc. Layoffs and department cutbacks do frequently occur, but In my opinion, Intel does a very good job of helping exiting employees if that time does come.

ConsNo work/life balance no matter how much Intel tries to tout their improvements here. Intel's demands and expectations on their employees' time is still extremely high. Seriously... on-the-job heart attacks are commonplace with the stress of getting product developed and out the door. Intel has a very old workforce with more than 50% of their US-based employees qualified for retirement. The various HR programs and overall emphasis is on hiring NCGs suggests that Intel is really wanting to replace the old guard with new younger (less expensive) blood. It's really a young man's world at Intel and getting more so every month. While senior leadership at Intel is very good in my opinion, the 1st line managers are generally groomed and trained to be tough results-only intimidation driven supervisors. Unfortunately, there is a very common and very strongly adheared-to year-end review policy for managers to promote only the top 5% at year end, give average reviews with near-zero raises to 80% of the team, and run the bottom 15% out the door. These are forced numbers that are very serious, and managers who don't hit them are really put under the microscope. If the team is all extremely good with nothing but top performers, there will still be a 10% - 15% out-the-door move. Perhaps this is also true at most other companies; I don't know as I've been here for 22 years. But every 6 months I see an aweful lot of great talent walking out the door. Overall career opportunities are there, but only for those who work extremely hard to get noticed, contribute, and are quite frankly good at office politics. You also neet to be very flexible and willing to take job location moves at the drop of a hat. Thinking you can progress succcessful at Intel while staying at the same geographical location your entire career (or even 3 to 5 years for that matter) is unrealistic. Nobody at Intel will help you with your career, and with all the top-petigreed talent around, it's quite frankly very tough to complete. There is a reason Andy Grove founded Intel on an "Only the Paranoid Survive" philosophy. It's as true today as it was when I started at Intel. A really terrific place to work as long as you can sink your nails in, hang on, and not get thrown off during the many, many challenging and turbulent political times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf individuals on your team are good, well qualified and contributing members, then fight for them. Switch from a negative intimidation management-oriented focus to a positive leadership-oriented focus.

My personal review

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros: Good work environment, and thats it Cons: Pay and Perks, too mcuh pressure More

Bureaucracy

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Benefits that go far beyond the average company. Cons: Bureaucracy is the company’s biggest enemy. It takes 10 times the effort it should to get anything done. This is mostly due… Advice to Senior Management: Lessen the red tape held up by people without the… More

There are newer reviews on Intel Corporation.

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!