Intel Corporation

Good luck

Former Employee - Intern Computer Engineer in Columbia, SC
Former Employee - Intern Computer Engineer in Columbia, SC

I worked at Intel Corporation

Pros

You get compensated very well as a student intern. You also get all the benefits of insurance. If you are lucky enough to get a manager who isn't busy doing other projects, you may get to do useful work.

Cons

If the team you work with is busy with a project they have been working on before you got there, you will really not have any real work to do besides trying to figure out what is going on.

If you're going to hire an intern, have a plan for work you would like them to do while they are there. Don't just make up something on the fly that has no challenge what so ever.

4034 Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation (View Most Recent)

not a place for retirement

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

place for young people, relative less seniority compare to other places, meaning more opportunities for career development

Cons

no work life balance, resulting high turn over rate
    top down decision making instead of technical driven or business driven decision

promote innovation instead of blocking them

Intel - some things are great, some things need work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Intel Corporation

Pros

Intel has great benefits and, depending on what group you are in, give you a lot of flexibility and respect. I love the "about three weeks of vacation per year" and the fact that no one is tracking my hours. They care if I get my job done, not if I left fifteen minutes early. Work can be challenging (in a good way) and I have worked with some of the smartest and most competent people I have ever met.

Cons

Those who can't do sometimes wind up managing. And as a software engineer at a hardware company you are a red haired step child. Intel knows how to make world class silicon, their processes and techniques are stellar. But they haven't grasped that software is different, and without software the best silicon in the world is just a really expensive doorstop.

Have managers with recent software experience manage software groups. Learn something about software planning. Include software in the product planning process. "Doing whatever it takes" to get software out the door with hardware without planning is not a recipe for success.

There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation