Management was annoying

Former Employee - Banquet Bartender in Coralville, IA
Former Employee - Banquet Bartender in Coralville, IA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great college job, and its a pretty easy job.

Cons

Management can't seem to tell people what to do properly because one manager will say do this and then a minute later the other one will say do this. Then they both get pissed when the job they assigned isn't done yet.

Advice to Management

Talk among yourselves about who told which employee to do what.

Other Employee Reviews for InterContinental Hotels Group

1. They are okay

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Asheville, NC

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel discounts, pride in brands.

Cons

The hotel computer systems have communication issues and could be more user friendly. Also, the company fines hotels for customer complaints without letting the hotel dispute the issues.

Advice to Management

Do not penalize hotels for customer complaints without letting the hotel dispute it. The hotel customer system could use some updating and some extra effort on working out the bugs.

Super experience in the corporate web world.

Current Contractor - User Experience Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - User Experience Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work in several different areas of the business which include Scrum/Agile environment, UX, Marketing and DAY CMS . I have been exposed to actual user testing and technical deployment processes. My manager has been really good with keeping my interest in mind while assigning me work which keeps things interesting. The company itself treats the employees/contractors very well by constantly showing appreciation by having on and offsite events and celebrations for most holidays and they even do something for the Olympics. IHG knows how to have a good time. They also show an interest in providing you with the right tools for your position which include computers and software. They understand the importance of balancing work with your life and family time. My position is really flexible with options to work remotely if needed. I personally find this be very valuable. Last note, you don't have to pay for parking!

Cons

IHG does hire a lot of contractors and the opportunity to become a full-time employee seems unlikely at the moment. While they do treat the contractors very well you don't get the same benefits as an employee. Lets face it as your life changes so does your interesting in company benefits like 401k, pension, medical, dental, paid holidays, paid time off, employee discounts, discounted hotel rooms, health and wellness programs or training which are things I don't have access to being a contractor. Also, it seems like space might been an issue on some floors. I don't really mind working in the same room as others but I would prefer to have my own space to eliminate distractions and allow me to focus on my tasks.

Advice to Management

Overall I really enjoy the environmental but long term it might be difficult to stay on board with the lack of benefits available to me so it would be nice if there was a process in place to allow for full-time employment with the company. Being a contractor you automatically feel less secure about your position. Other than that, I can't really complain.