There are newer employer reviews for InterContinental Hotels Group

Good training ground...

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time

Pros

1. They have a good training program for employees.
2. You get to work with the top Hotel group in the world
3. The employee rate for their hotels is great.
4. It is a plus when you apply on other jobs especially in hospitality industry because of their name.

Cons

1. If you are in a team that operates 24/7, forget about vacations because you cannot plan ahead because of their "bidding system" when it comes to schedule.
2. They do not have competitive salary.
3. Promotions are usually based on Seniority.

Give better compensation to the employees to lessen the attrition.

435 Other Employee Reviews for InterContinental Hotels Group (View Most Recent)

A good company, determined to get better

Current Employee - Longterm Internal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Longterm Internal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast advancement if you're very good - They are growing fast and recruiting and promoting the right people equally fast. Global job opportunities. Their HR EVP is listened to at the top - unlike in other businesses - and so they do seem to live up to their 'people promises' and keep winning 'great place to work'-type awards as a result.

Cons

Bureaucracy. They're trying to shed it, but these things are slow-going in big companies. So, when you try and cut through the bureaucracy and 'just do it' you can get "Who gave you permission to do that?" I've found that "I did" sometimes works and sometimes doesn't :) . If the results of what you are doing are good, tho', to their credit, they can learn from that.

Speak in ordinary language. As with all large organizations, your internal communications people turn your 'management speak' into 'comms speak' and broadcast it to us. We just don't believe that stuff. It's "PR-speak". If you say to us "The good news is..." that just means, in our heads, you are spinning us, and therefore that erodes trust. Talk to the rest of us like you talk to each other - not management speak but honest and refreshing. Many of you do this already. Many of you need to learn how to do it.

Intern

Former Employee - Meetings and Events in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Meetings and Events in London, England (UK)

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people were super friendly, caring and hard working. It was a fun environment and I looked forward to going to work every day

Cons

There were some language barriers. Also, the office I worked it was recently redone, but in the basement of the hotel, where there were no windows or any contact with guests.

There are newer employer reviews for InterContinental Hotels Group