Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Very great team to work for!

Cons

The hotel is in a lot of transition from being not so great to amazing, so it is a little stressfull.

Advice to Management

Continue to be postive and continue to grow!

Other Employee Reviews for InterContinental Hotels Group

1. A Love Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

This is a great place to work as a college student. If the hotel is caught up with work you may take a few minutes to do some class reading. This proved a huge incentive for me to be efficient. What keeps you working here is the team- and it is a team environment. My GM and GSM know the business, both have worked at our site for years, and they are skilled at answering questions and explaining things. Our GM will usually include suggestions for improvement whenever you make a mistake. We also have an amazing breakfast staff and some knowledgeable people at the front desk who have been there for years. Humor and approachable co-workers, a definitely plus. Hotel Discount is EXCELLENT. Staybridge is an IHG brand which has hotels in almost every city in the US, and the discount runs easily over 40% off.

Cons

Low Pay. This may be attributed to certain Franchise owners, so corporate hotels may be different. But the pay is not competitive in the least. We always seem to have one member of the staff who doesn't pull their weight. This person will either quit or get fired in a month or two but the cycle seems to resume with the next hire. Staybridge operates on a Lean Model- meaning minimal staff. Work Life Balance: Atrocious. Holidays, weekends, several bad hours, and if there is turnover you will often get out of work late or be dragged in on your day off to fill in. Work Load: When the hotel is doing well in terms of business it is very tiring for the staff- extra hours and extra responsibilities. In contrast if the hotel is doing horrible in terms of sales then the work load is very light and you have time to relax. The pay is the same regardless of rooms sold- but the stress level is not.

Advice to Management

Incentive Structure: Outside of the DOS there is little-to-no incentive for staff to sell out the hotel. In fact, given increases in work load the incentive would be to turn away reservations and walk-ins. Instead of trying to negotiate a lower rate with a walk-in I am more inclined to let the potential business slide by if the person was rude to me- I make the same pay regardless of occupancy. Scheduling: Alternative staffing and scheduling structures would resolve many issues. The lean model is good but needs to have a little "meat" on the bones- so that if someone quits unexpectedly the entire staff doesn't plunge into massive overtime. Also, by thinking outside of the traditional 8 hour shifts several scheduling conflicts could be resolved and work-life balance issues be resolved. Pay: We have had high turn over with the audit clerks. This position compiles financial reports- it seems counter-intuitive to under pay a person that not only ought to possess accounting prowess, but also (if possessing such accounting skill) is able to deduce your profit margins. This talent is easily sniped by better offers from other companies.

2. Be a Front desk puppet and you'll survive.

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Compensation is acceptable for amount of work. Decent healthcare/ 401k package Job is secure (dependent on senority)

Cons

Standing 9 hours a day undefined procedures that change dependent on who you're helping No growth opportunities A hording of information that could be helpful on your daily performance

Advice to Management

Train and support staff.