rewarding experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cambridge, MA
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at InterSystems as an intern

Pros

good intern (education) program
one-on-one mentor
employer cares about personal interest and skill matching
great location

Cons

sometimes work can be tedious

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great people and environment, but a relatively "dry" product line & limited room for career advancement as sup. advisor

Current Employee - Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

>> All of this is from the role of a Support Advisor <<

The people - There is a large swath of very talented people working here -- many hired from top notch schools like MIT -- who are more than willing to set time aside to help you gain a more solid understanding of the technology. Also the support department is fairly social -- I like working with my coworkers (for the most part)

Great deal of anonymity working here once you pass the "new hire" phase. As long as you get your work finished in a professional manner, you can really work however you want. Work from home is common for the more experienced, but dont think you can do that all the time as a new hire :D

Coming from a non computer science background, many of the skills and technology I learn here will definitely be helpful down the road. As a support advisor, you deal with databased administration work, application performance analysis, network technologies, Unix/Windows/VMS, deep code analysis, writing code, helping people fix their applications, high priority issues that impact people daily. The technical and non-technical skills I am learning are great. If you already know much of this stuff, Support Advisors and developers here will all need to go through this tedious process.

They pay 75% or so of any (in a some what related field/technology) of your courses should you pursue further education while working there. This can be any course as far as I know (many people take class at Tufts, for example.

Very well off financially. The company really knowns how to deal with their finances, and it is private so it has complete control over its capital. Compensation is nice, not too sure how it compares to other equivalent jobs. I know that compared to hot ticket tech/developer jobs here, there are many other opportunities that pay more.

Cons

>> All of this is from the role of a Support Advisor <<

The work, while frequently rewarding, is too variable in its intensity for me. Let me explain... Due to the nature of production-level (talking hospitals, banks, etc...) software support, you often have no idea when a really high priority, time sensitive, and technically challenging issue will come up in your work queue. Some people love this, however, it is not for me. I am happy to be challenged here (as I frequently am) but wish it were more constant so I could appropriately structure my day around it.

Limited moves for career advancement in the Support department. Your rank improves, but you dont really get a "promotion." Only a limited amount of people get big promotion, and they are usually have been working for 5-6 years at the company.

While the skills you learn working with our software are extremely helpful outside of InterSystems, the majority of your work will be focused on our technologies that are very specific to
    a) some hospital DB admin work
    b) proprietary InterSystems technology

This translates into lower transferrable skills down the road.

Advice to Management

Overall, your employees are happy and productive people. Your events are fun and I have no issue with how the company is handled.

I just feel that the nature of this area of software forces your product into a "well, ok, you make databases" vibe instead of "wow, this is forward thinking" in the way other software companies do (ie, google, microsoft, both of which are located within 5 minutes of the company headquarters). It would be great to see this mold broken!

2. Member of technical staff says - interesting work here

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company
    More autonomy than I expected in daily work
    Stable long term customer base primarily in healthcare and finance
    Smart coworkers including many industry veterans
    Salary increases in line with industry averages (don't know why other reviewer said there were none)
    International offices and projects - you might get to travel
    You'll probably get your own door

Cons

Specific tech skills you develop here are not as widely used or as in demand as some other skills
    Focus on backward compatibility sometimes limits forward technical progress of products
    Commute traffic depending on where you live

Advice to Management

Consider what other acquisitions we can make to improve our platform