InterSystems

www.intersystems.com
  www.intersystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems

Excellent place to work and grow

Current Employee - Support Specialist
Current Employee - Support Specialist

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is in the context of the support department:

The culture here is one of cooperation and collaboration. I personally enjoy working in a team oriented environment, and learning whatever I can from my more experienced colleagues. As time has gone on in my career here, I have also found that I enjoy teaching my less experienced colleagues the things I have come to learn.

It turns out, that's exactly what is intended. There's a mentoring aspect to the culture, so that more experienced staff take on as part of their duties the training and guidance of the less experienced staff. It's really a rewarding experience, and promotes an atmosphere where people are encouraged to work together, and comfortable doing so.

In that way, we are a "collective conscious," as no one person here knows all the answers but everyone is willing to help each other find knowledge or ways to solve problems.

I also found that I've become friends with a number of my colleagues outside of work. Activities are organized frequently throughout the year (ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, whitewater rafting, ski trips, etc) that are not sponsored by the company but we tend to organize and do as a group.

Pay and benefits are good (I saw a comment about dental insurance - we have that now!), and you start earning vacation time from day one. Other places I;ve worked for make you wait a year before you get any paid time off.

There is a LOT to learn here. If you look into the product enough, you'll find it is supported on multiple platforms, and can be interfaced with multiple programming languages and connection means. Over the course of time I have worked here, I have learned much more about different languages, ways to solve general problems in computing (find me an undergraduate computer science major that shows you how to analyze crash dumps!), and various operating systems than I ever did in college. I believe that there are a huge number of things that are transferable from this company to many other companies in the IT field.

Cons

This is in the context of the support department:

People who don't want to work hard won't automatically get promotions or raises here, so if you are the type of person who hopes to ride the corporate elevator under the "seniority" mindset, find a different company. We've got a strong culture of meritocracy, so you've got to earn your stripes - but hard work is definitely recognized and rewarded.

The hierarchy is a bit vague, so it's not crystal clear what your opportunities are unless you ask around, but you will find the answers if you seek them.

Certainly, there are stressful days but that has been true of every other customer facing job I've ever had. I can't imagine that there's any way to have a job of a support nature where you can plan out your day, due to the nature of technology and things going wrong when nobody expects it.

By the same rationale, there is some repetition in the work as well, as new customers to the product will tend to have the same "novice" questions.

However, I find that the work is mostly exciting and interesting, and not usually stressful.

57 Other Employee Reviews for InterSystems (View Most Recent)

Great people and environment, but a relatively "dry" product line & limited room for career advancement as sup. advisor

Current Employee - Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

>> All of this is from the role of a Support Advisor <<

The people - There is a large swath of very talented people working here -- many hired from top notch schools like MIT -- who are more than willing to set time aside to help you gain a more solid understanding of the technology. Also the support department is fairly social -- I like working with my coworkers (for the most part)

Great deal of anonymity working here once you pass the "new hire" phase. As long as you get your work finished in a professional manner, you can really work however you want. Work from home is common for the more experienced, but dont think you can do that all the time as a new hire :D

Coming from a non computer science background, many of the skills and technology I learn here will definitely be helpful down the road. As a support advisor, you deal with databased administration work, application performance analysis, network technologies, Unix/Windows/VMS, deep code analysis, writing code, helping people fix their applications, high priority issues that impact people daily. The technical and non-technical skills I am learning are great. If you already know much of this stuff, Support Advisors and developers here will all need to go through this tedious process.

They pay 75% or so of any (in a some what related field/technology) of your courses should you pursue further education while working there. This can be any course as far as I know (many people take class at Tufts, for example.

Very well off financially. The company really knowns how to deal with their finances, and it is private so it has complete control over its capital. Compensation is nice, not too sure how it compares to other equivalent jobs. I know that compared to hot ticket tech/developer jobs here, there are many other opportunities that pay more.

Cons

>> All of this is from the role of a Support Advisor <<

The work, while frequently rewarding, is too variable in its intensity for me. Let me explain... Due to the nature of production-level (talking hospitals, banks, etc...) software support, you often have no idea when a really high priority, time sensitive, and technically challenging issue will come up in your work queue. Some people love this, however, it is not for me. I am happy to be challenged here (as I frequently am) but wish it were more constant so I could appropriately structure my day around it.

Limited moves for career advancement in the Support department. Your rank improves, but you dont really get a "promotion." Only a limited amount of people get big promotion, and they are usually have been working for 5-6 years at the company.

While the skills you learn working with our software are extremely helpful outside of InterSystems, the majority of your work will be focused on our technologies that are very specific to
    a) some hospital DB admin work
    b) proprietary InterSystems technology

This translates into lower transferrable skills down the road.

Overall, your employees are happy and productive people. Your events are fun and I have no issue with how the company is handled.

I just feel that the nature of this area of software forces your product into a "well, ok, you make databases" vibe instead of "wow, this is forward thinking" in the way other software companies do (ie, google, microsoft, both of which are located within 5 minutes of the company headquarters). It would be great to see this mold broken!

rewarding experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at InterSystems as an intern

Pros

good intern (education) program
    one-on-one mentor
    employer cares about personal interest and skill matching
    great location

Cons

sometimes work can be tedious

There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems