Professional company that will be around for many years to come

Current Employee - Technical Trainer  in  Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture where you can get noticed if you work hard; not a lot of obstacles to working: few meetings, permissions required, etc.
Extremely bright employees and a CEO who does not compromise his standards of excellence related to products, employees, and most of all customers
Beautiful offices
Sane work hours
Plenty of resources

Cons

Company has been around for over 30 years and some processes are resistant to change

Robust career paths for some of the larger departments are needed to retain employees now that the company is of critical size.

Other Reviews for InterSystems

Collaborative work environment that respects employees thoughts and ideas

Current Employee - Support Advisor  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

I believe in order to fully appreciate InterSystems and what the company has to offer, you need to have some job market knowledge of the Boston area and the software industry. Coming from a company that had zero work-life balance or appreciation for the work of their employees, InterSystems has proven to me that you can enjoy what you're doing on a daily basis. The company provides a challenging work environment, but also ensures that all employees are thoroughly trained and given the tools needed in order to perform well in their position. The management is accessible, and they have done well with implementing a mentor structure for those employees who are more junior. You receive recognition for the hard work you put in, and there is a clear path for promotion and growth.

Cons

None that I can currently think of.

Excellent place to work and grow

Current Employee - Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Support Specialist

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is in the context of the support department:

The culture here is one of cooperation and collaboration. I personally enjoy working in a team oriented environment, and learning whatever I can from my more experienced colleagues. As time has gone on in my career here, I have also found that I enjoy teaching my less experienced colleagues the things I have come to learn.

It turns out, that's exactly what is intended. There's a mentoring aspect to the culture, so that more experienced staff take on as part of their duties the training and guidance of the less experienced staff. It's really a rewarding experience, and promotes an atmosphere where people are encouraged to work together, and comfortable doing so.

In that way, we are a "collective conscious," as no one person here knows all the answers but everyone is willing to help each other find knowledge or ways to solve problems.

I also found that I've become friends with a number of my colleagues outside of work. Activities are organized frequently throughout the year (ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, whitewater rafting, ski trips, etc) that are not sponsored by the company but we tend to organize and do as a group.

Pay and benefits are good (I saw a comment about dental insurance - we have that now!), and you start earning vacation time from day one. Other places I;ve worked for make you wait a year before you get any paid time off.

There is a LOT to learn here. If you look into the product enough, you'll find it is supported on multiple platforms, and can be interfaced with multiple programming languages and connection means. Over the course of time I have worked here, I have learned much more about different languages, ways to solve general problems in computing (find me an undergraduate computer science major that shows you how to analyze crash dumps!), and various operating systems than I ever did in college. I believe that there are a huge number of things that are transferable from this company to many other companies in the IT field.

Cons

This is in the context of the support department:

People who don't want to work hard won't automatically get promotions or raises here, so if you are the type of person who hopes to ride the corporate elevator under the "seniority" mindset, find a different company. We've got a strong culture of meritocracy, so you've got to earn your stripes - but hard work is definitely recognized and rewarded.

The hierarchy is a bit vague, so it's not crystal clear what your opportunities are unless you ask around, but you will find the answers if you seek them.

Certainly, there are stressful days but that has been true of every other customer facing job I've ever had. I can't imagine that there's any way to have a job of a support nature where you can plan out your day, due to the nature of technology and things going wrong when nobody expects it.

By the same rationale, there is some repetition in the work as well, as new customers to the product will tend to have the same "novice" questions.

However, I find that the work is mostly exciting and interesting, and not usually stressful.

There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems.

Worked for InterSystems? Contribute to the Community!