There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems

A chance to work with the very best in the business.

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee retention numbers say it all. People stay here for years, even decades, because they get to work with the best and the brightest, and are compensated and treated well. And we are known for being insanely passionate about serving our customers and solving their problems. So we have long customer relationships and long employee relationships.

Cons

Because of the nature of our software as a platform technology that is not user-facing, we are less known. Those that do know our name are almost cult-like in their devotion.

51 Other Employee Reviews for InterSystems (View Most Recent)

Stable company but limited room for growth

Current Employee - Developer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good job security. Company has a long history of success in healthcare.
    - Fulfillment from working to improve healthcare software. This is an especially important industry today.
    - For developers, there is a lot of flexibility in terms of when and where you work. Working from home occasionally isn't an issue. For support advisors there are usually set hours/shifts needed to be covered.
    - Decent vacation time and holidays off.
    - 401k matching
    - Good salary.
    - Nice building right on the river in Cambridge/Kenmore Square.
    - Global offices, possible travel opportunities depending on the project.

Cons

- Technology (based on MUMPS) is not widely used outside of healthcare, so you are very limited by your acquired skillset if you're looking for a new job in the future.
    - Depending on the product you are working on, the codebase can be difficult to work with. Emphasis is placed on just making things work rather than developing quality long term solutions.
    - Very corporate environment, not a lot of passion. Most people just view it as a job.
    - Drab cubicles/office environment.
    - Business casual dress code.

- Give developers more control/autonomy.
    - Need better defined goals/vision.
    - Some teams are sorely understaffed. Focus more on recruiting young talent.

Great Place to Work and Grow

Current Employee - Administration  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Administration in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at InterSystems for almost a year and find the company to continually surprise me in their strong organizational and professional behavior. Our Human Resources team is always looking to improve employee benefits, from small things like organizing a flu shot clinic, to pioneering the first year of dental insurance. This is clearly a company that plans to be around for many years to come and wants their employees to also. Many employees have been here over 10 years.

Regardless of what department you're in, managers recognize that employees crave room for growth. The director of the Product Support group has put together an entire presentation for interviews showing all the different ways an entry level person can grow within that department. While not every manager goes to this length, opportunity is everywhere within the company if an employee is driven enough to look for it.

Another pro to working here is that the people are, simply put, nice. As a technically based company many people think of an introverted culture with socially awkward interactions. Since I was working within the Administration department that was what I was prepared for. However, overall, I've found that the company is staffed not only with smart, capable employees, but also mostly with pleasant people to be around. It makes coming to work that much more enjoyable.

Cons

The only negative aspects that come to mind are minimal, such as business casual dress rather than causal.

There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems

Worked for InterSystems? Contribute to the Community!