Great Company with smart people

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company really gives you the freedom to succeed. No micromanagement here. Everyone is focused on doing what is best to help our clients succeed.

On the people side I have never worked for a company where ALL the management is so available. It is great to work with a bunch of really smart folks who are willing to listen at all levels. You don't always get what you want in particular, but you really feel part of making the products the best they can be.

Finally, we work hard, but the company really believes in a Work/Life balance. I have had occasion to rely on this and found the support very gratifying.

Cons

Formal technical training could be better as can the documentation available. The later is greatly improved in recent years though. There is also that great bunch of people that are always willing to help out and guide you if you need it. However you really need to be a self starter and go looking for your answers no one is going to be holding your hand. This can be viewed as a pro too as no one is constantly looking over your shoulder (A fact I happen to really enjoy).

The organization is pretty flat so if you are looking for position advancement you may be disappointed.

As far as the overall company culture and direction DON'T CHANGE A THING.

Some areas to think about:
- Hire some true technical writers for the documentation and scrap the current document search engine.
- Licensing model options need to be expanded or reorganized a little bit.

Other Reviews for InterSystems

Overall good internship experience

Current Employee - Intern  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone at the company was super nice, happy to talk with you, and they all seemed to enjoy working for InterSystems. I've seen it mentioned in other reviews, but a good amount of people stay here for years and years- so they must really like it.

Good pay for interns.

Every intern is paired with a mentor who you can go to whenever you need help. This was incredibly helpful!

Towards the end of the internship, you seriously improve your presenting skills.

Cons

I ran out of things to do frequently over the summer.

Although nearly everyone is willing to help/friendly, I did have the poor experience of my project being under someone who didn't respond to almost any of my e-mails (they'd go MIA for months) . This led to the aforementioned lack of work. If it wasn't for the communication issues I experienced, I would've definitely given InterSystems 5 stars!

Great company, great culture, great overall experiences

I worked at InterSystems

Pros

Worked in the HQ in Cambridge which is a great city if you're young. Company culture is great too, very flat in structure. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

Cons

The skills you acquire are mainly in their proprietary language, which isn't helpful if you're looking to transfer.

There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems.

Worked for InterSystems? Contribute to the Community!