There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems

a few months in and loving it

Current Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a very friendly and laid back workplace. The management is great and very receptive to feedback. Very good work life balance, everyone respects your personal time. The office environment is corporate, but comfortable, and the views of the Charles river and Boston are some of the best views in the city. Benefits package is great, good insurance, PTO, Holidays, etc.

Cons

None so far that I have noticed, perhaps the expensive parking. Although it is right next to the Red Line Kendall stop, so public transportation for commuters is really easy.

Keep doing the great things you are doing. And maybe start some extra curricular company activities such as softball teams, social club activities, etc. They might exist, I just haven't heard of any yet, so if they do, promote them more.

54 Other Employee Reviews for InterSystems (View Most Recent)

A sweat Shop would be more fun!

Former Employee - Human Resources in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Cambridge, MA

I worked at InterSystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There aren't any. The people who have ALL the power are 5 or 6 executives. You better bow down to them or you are TOAST. They are always right and they dont want to hear otherwise.

Cons

Where to begin:

Must wear a tie. They call that business casual. All the execs wear suits
    Benefits are just okay. They only recently got dental insurance for employees.
    You better not leave before 5 or you WILL BE SPOKEN TO!
    Everyone back stabs each other.
    Most people hate it there but stay due to lack of options.
    HR is of NO help to employees and sides with management 100% of the time.
    When you walk in you are automatically looked at with skepticism. No one really talks to you and they let you sink or swim on your own. No one helps you avoid the political land mines. In fact they enjoy it when you step on one.
    You are never given a second chance. One mistake and YOU ARE GONE

I was there a short time and started looking for a new job after a month there.

Its 2014 not 1950. act like a software company not IBM in the 50's. NO TIES and Business Casual is Business CASUAL!

Have a more employee inclusive environment and help new employees become oriented to the company.

Take away the fear factor that exists there. Everyone is afraid. People afraid are giving you 100%

Great Company with smart people

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company really gives you the freedom to succeed. No micromanagement here. Everyone is focused on doing what is best to help our clients succeed.

On the people side I have never worked for a company where ALL the management is so available. It is great to work with a bunch of really smart folks who are willing to listen at all levels. You don't always get what you want in particular, but you really feel part of making the products the best they can be.

Finally, we work hard, but the company really believes in a Work/Life balance. I have had occasion to rely on this and found the support very gratifying.

Cons

Formal technical training could be better as can the documentation available. The later is greatly improved in recent years though. There is also that great bunch of people that are always willing to help out and guide you if you need it. However you really need to be a self starter and go looking for your answers no one is going to be holding your hand. This can be viewed as a pro too as no one is constantly looking over your shoulder (A fact I happen to really enjoy).

The organization is pretty flat so if you are looking for position advancement you may be disappointed.

As far as the overall company culture and direction DON'T CHANGE A THING.

Some areas to think about:
    - Hire some true technical writers for the documentation and scrap the current document search engine.
    - Licensing model options need to be expanded or reorganized a little bit.

There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems