Interactive Brokers

www.interactivebrokers.com
  www.interactivebrokers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Interactive Brokers

It's not at all a social place to work !

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Interactive Brokers

Pros

Great salary and benefits recession proof .

Cons

No social life and team culture.

48 Other Employee Reviews for Interactive Brokers (View Most Recent)

Avoid this at all costs if you value life outside of work

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Interactive Brokers

Pros

Decent salary is how we get people in the door. Based on performance (and we are pretty fair about this), you can get a decent bonus. There are absolutely no meetings to attend, not any -- ever. So if you like to sit at your desk and just work (i.e., no politics) then that is a plus.

1. The hours are fine -- approximately 9am to 6pm.

2. They allow you $12 per day to order lunch on seamless web.com.

2. The work is fairly interesting IF you get assigned an interesting project.

3. They give you annual "cost of living" increases of 4% per year.
    THIS IS WHY I AM STILL HERE AFTER 8 YEARS, FYI. It adds up -- quickly!

Cons

Benefits, culture, and career. Trust me, you do NOT want to work at this place unless you are 21 and have no life. I got in early, and I'm almost done, but in clear conscience I must tell it like it is.

1. You are expected to be at your desk the entire time, even for lunch. You will be reprimanded if you are away from your desk for too long.

2. You do NOT socialize with your coworkers. Management walks by several times per day and WILL notice this and comment about getting back to work. It has gotten better in the 8 years that I have been here but this is not a place to go to make friends or to have any type of workplace camaraderie.

3. The benefits are horribly, horribly abysmally bad. You'd better not have any type of protracted injuries, for example, because if you need short-term disability (I did once) it provides a MAX of $500 per week for 26 WEEKS (since when is 26 weeks short-term?!!!). A normal policy would provide FULL salary for 6 weeks followed by HALF salary for a much longer term.

4. The benefits also suck for vacation -- you get 2 weeks (10 days) per year. You have to work there for 5 years (!!!) to get another 2 days (!!!). This is a sweat-shop, boys, plain and simple.

5. You will not be exposed to any of the inner-workings of the firm for many, many years. This is prudent on our part, but it also means that YOU WILL NOT LEARN ANYTHING about the brokerage or trading business that you couldn't get by working for 1 year at another firm. You are here to code, plain and simple.

Guys -- I got in early and got stock options and I'm almost done with my career. I have had highs and lows with this firm. But I look at some of the new people coming in now, and it's just pathetic that they don't know how much better it can be at other places. I have golden handcuffs -- they do not.

Look elsewhere and you'll thank me that you did.

None -- this is a money-making machine and they squeeze everything they can out of labor. It's paid me well and continues to do so.

pretty secretive and communist attitude, stingy with salary

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Interactive Brokers

Pros

Learn to code ( it is a programing sweat shop) and
    Learn basics of finance and trading
    Get your foot in the door

Cons

poor compensation
    no freedom to be creative
    Very autocratic
    the place has a management crisis
    and a really secretive culture where they dont permit interactions

There are newer employer reviews for Interactive Brokers