Interactive Brokers

www.interactivebrokers.com

Looking forward to leaving.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Greenwich, CT
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT

Pros

If you are good, have no ambition, and are willing to put up with the company 'idiosyncrasies' for the long-term, you will be very well compensated.

Some other reviewers' comments that I can echo:

- A few people are very smart and are a pleasure to work with* and learn from**
- Business is run ethically
- No red tape

* 'Work with' means ask questions and get answers, not collaborate
** Learn C++, see below

Cons

Good reviews on Glassdoor are mostly not from programmers.

No effort is made to educate employees about markets or the business beyond what is required for your immediate project. "Do your assigned project and don't rock the boat" is the motto.

There is essentially no collaboration. You are told what to do and you do it.

Benfits are abysmal.
- 6.5 year (!!!) vesting schedule for stock bonuses and 401k matches (50% of 10% of contribution), you only get 10% up front (in May) plus 15% per year over 6 years
- Two (!!!) weeks of vacation for the first five years, after that, three.
- Health insurance is a low-end Cigna plan. Here's an example of how cheap it is; you can only get an eye exam once every two years. I have a feeling anyone who puts the insurance in the 'pro' column has never actually used it.

Perks are half-hearted and penny-pinching.
- See comments about benefits above
- You get $12 from seamless.com to order lunch from crappy restaurants.
- "Stocked Fridge": the fridge is stocked with soda. Want a snack? Pretzel sticks.
- You wouldn't know it's a multi-billion dollar business from the spartan, depressing offices.

If they offered a company car, it would be an engine-less Yugo pulled by a donkey, but hey, it will get you there!

There are ways other than tight golden handcuffs to inspire employee loyalty. Show some concern for making our lives happier and easier.

Other reviews for Interactive Brokers

good co. to work for

Pros

great place and good people

Cons

none the co. is a great plce

Everyone against everyone. Highly political. No life

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT

Pros

Free lunch and free health insurance (you will regret it later)

Cons

The governing style is absolute tyranny.

Crazy night/weekend hours, frequent wake-up calls. Your pay will likely not reflect that. Developers are production management team by themselves.

Everyone is anti-social. You will never discuss your weekend or kids/family with any of your co-workers. Even an elevator conversation arriving at / departing from work (I am officially off at that time, right?) is all about what projects you or I are working on.

Did I just say "kids"? Forget you have kids (or are ever going to have them), and never mention it, or else... (see below)

When looking for candidates, top managers always ask their junior managers (who bring candidates to them), if a candidate has any kids. This is outright illegal to ask a candidate of, so I am not sure how they get this information. A typical answer is "well, he/she does, but the youngest one is almost 15 and will soon head out for college." (what?)

The process of assigning blame (or getting your things ready in case stuff happens) is very important, and takes about 30% of your work time. Any minor system malfunction looks like a public execution of whoever was found "guilty", and everyone is made aware of that.

Managers afraid to make any design decisions, and the most specific request I have ever heard was "build us a system that will work for us". In the end if it doesn't "work as our users were envisioning it in their head" it is all your fault.

You will have to pretend your boss (and his/her boss and so on) is the smartest guy on Earth, and you 100% agree with what they say on every account. You cannot possibly have an opinion, and you should feel lucky at any time of day (or night; you do work nights) that you are here.

Unprofessionalism, Disrespect, and Hate are the top human qualities here. You will spend most time fighting your peers. Everyone thinks highly of themselves, and hates everyone who is new to the company.

People come and go. Some positions are advertised on-going for years because people don't stay for long.

Many people who currently work here will be lying about how "great" this place is. They think If they tell you the truth, people will avoid them just because of the strange things they are talking about all the time. This is a typical victim mentality, so I don't blame them for lying. When I spoke to a recruiter, I was surprised with how many people are looking to escape from this place.

There are many more things that you should know before you start here, but I want to get back to my Saturday morning, and move on with my life, as reviving these images in my head from a few years ago takes quite a bit of energy and grief. I hope I have given people enough warning to make them stop and think before you make a decision that will affect your life for the next few years.

P.S. I have learned a lot. People who work with me right now (at another company) admire my survival skills, and they say I will survive anywhere. Yes, this is a good skill to have, but I wish it hasn't come at such a price.

I work at another firm in Finance now, and I am happy with my life, work, and my colleagues. Interactive Brokers is the biggest nightmare of my life.

Invest in your people (no one would listen, but I had to put some text in this box for completeness)

There are newer employer reviews for Interactive Brokers.

Worked for Interactive Brokers? Contribute to the Community!