There are newer employer reviews for Interactive Brokers

Looking forward to leaving.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time

Pros

If you are good, have no ambition, and are willing to put up with the company 'idiosyncrasies' for the long-term, you will be very well compensated. Some other reviewers' comments that I can echo: - A few people are very smart and are a pleasure to work with* and learn from** - Business is run ethically - No red tape * 'Work with' means ask questions and get answers, not collaborate ** Learn C++, see below

Cons

Good reviews on Glassdoor are mostly not from programmers. No effort is made to educate employees about markets or the business beyond what is required for your immediate project. "Do your assigned project and don't rock the boat" is the motto. There is essentially no collaboration. You are told what to do and you do it. Benfits are abysmal. - 6.5 year (!!!) vesting schedule for stock bonuses and 401k matches (50% of 10% of contribution), you only get 10% up front (in May) plus 15% per year over 6 years - Two (!!!) weeks of vacation for the first five years, after that, three. - Health insurance is a low-end Cigna plan. Here's an example of how cheap it is; you can only get an eye exam once every two years. I have a feeling anyone who puts the insurance in the 'pro' column has never actually used it. Perks are half-hearted and penny-pinching. - See comments about benefits above - You get $12 from seamless.com to order lunch from crappy restaurants. - "Stocked Fridge": the fridge is stocked with soda. Want a snack? Pretzel sticks. - You wouldn't know it's a multi-billion dollar business from the spartan, depressing offices. If they offered a company car, it would be an engine-less Yugo pulled by a donkey, but hey, it will get you there!

Advice to Management

There are ways other than tight golden handcuffs to inspire employee loyalty. Show some concern for making our lives happier and easier.

Other Employee Reviews for Interactive Brokers

terrible place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good comp & job security. great bonuses. decent benefits. some really smart developers. the annual company party is a nice touch. free lunch.

Cons

The work/life balance is non-existent. The first time I tried going out for lunch, I was reprimanded by my manager and told that lunch is to be eaten at my desk, while working. Bullying is alive and well, with senior management routinely screaming at, cursing, and berating employees. The atmosphere is that of a sweatshop. No salary is worth the treatment you'll receive here.

2. good co. to work for

Pros

great place and good people

Cons

none the co. is a great plce