There are newer employer reviews for Interactive Brokers

If you want to feel like chattel, this is the place!

Pros

Talented development staff. Everyone in the same "situation".

Cons

This entire organization is run by the delusions of one person... the people in customer service are good, but the systems that dictate the methodology is awful and unbending. The company seems more like a psychological experiment than a business.

Advice to Management

haha...useless. It's Thomas Peterffy.... Take some value in the people who made you rich.

Other Employee Reviews for Interactive Brokers

If it was fun, it wouldn't be called work

Pros

If you perform well, you will be promoted. Nice offices Colleagues are friendly modern computer equipment free lunch is provided

Cons

You can hear a pin drop. Employer does not want employees to chat with each other in the workplace because that means that they are not working.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little guy. The smallest decisions take too long to be made because they have to be approved by top management.

2. The grass wasn't greener!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very-unique culture suited for programmers (the company is run by the programmers) - You can see the immediate impact of your work - You have a chance to work on the best brokerage platform - The CEO is interested in getting feedback from new employers - There are no unnecessary meetings or conference calls - Very good medical benefits and the premium paid 100% by the company - Free lunch delivered directly to the kitchen for you (fine print: you eat in front of your computer :) - Free soda (not good if you want to loose weight!) - For those, who trade on the side - unlike other regulated financial companies (especially investment banks), IB doesn't force its employees to move investment accounts to some "approved" (and often expensive) brokers or prohibit frequent trading My story: Like the subject says "the grass wasn't greener" (on the other side). Long story short - I resigned and came back to work for IB again after working just a few days for another company. I had resigned from IB because I felt that I had found it difficult to innovate (by means of bringing new open source software). I moved to work for a large financial company (good benefits and modern technology stack). However, what I immediately started to dislike was a typical bureaucratic culture of a financial firm, where IT employees are treated as resources (not the drivers of the company), and where you have meetings upon meetings and status reports and endless work about work. Coming from IB culture that was a huge difference and I started having second thoughts about whether it was the right place for me and whether I had made the right decision to quit my job. I finally made my mind and contacted the Director of HR at IB and asked if it would be possible for me to come back. He then contacted the President of the company, who was very kind to allow me to return... IB like any other company has its pros and cons and it takes time to appreciate its specific culture. There are opportunities and rewards for those who want to work hard.

Cons

- Difficult to bring new software onboard - Too few sick days - The HR department is understaffed - Many flavors of coffee in the kitchen but not so good quality