There are newer employer reviews for Interactive Intelligence

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility and cutting edge technology are the greatest.

Cons

None at this time. Everything is great.

Keep up the good work.

299 Other Employee Reviews for Interactive Intelligence (View Most Recent)

Couldn't have asked for a better first internship experience.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This was my first internship I pursued during my sophomore year of college, and I can't say I was ever really disappointed.
    I talked with the intern manager at the career fair, and she mentioned a project that needed an overhaul. I said I was interested considering it matched my skillset well, and she set me up with the right group at Inin to interview for. After accepting the offer and starting to work there, it was made my personal intern project over the summer. The team was open to using new technologies and methods, some of which they were even unfamiliar with.
    Both my mentor and the other software engineers were happy to assist me or answer any questions I had. At no point did they seem irritated with me stopping by the office on occasion with questions, and they even sat down with me for two hours to teach me the basics about Inin, the codebase, build system, etc.
    I got to see the "big picture" and got to develop multiple parts of the product overhaul including back-end, front-end, and unit testing.
    The intern managers also planned several events for us throughout the summer, and were always seeking feedback about what fun events they could put on. Some examples were regular ice cream socials and free food, Indians games, cookouts, LAN parties, King's Island trip, Eagle Creek state park visit, paintball, bar crawls and more.

The best thing about this company is its people; they really care about your success and are always willing to try new things and are open to new ideas.

Cons

Your intern experience is going to largely depend on what team you're on--you might not get a team you're interested in. The structure has changed a bit since I left there, but I know my team was small enough to select a good project and get to know the engineers well and to find help.
    With other interns, their work consisted of completing several little tasks that had been put on the back burner by other employees, or writing several test cases for products that weren't of the highest importance. They were often bored and unchallenged by this work, and were at times left sitting around with nothing to do but browse Reddit.
    I recommend applying and accepting early if you're interested, and selecting only 2-3 teams that you're really interested in (the intern manager will help you through this).

Be crystal clear about the hiring process, and make sure you continue to communicate constantly with applicants. I had to contact the office once a week after they promised to get back to me to ask about an interview date.
    Also, continue what you're doing! Never stop exploring ways to bond interns and teams and to throw events and have fun. One of Inin's best qualities is the work hard, play hard atmosphere. Don't lose it.

Good Company with Growing Pains

Current Employee - Administration  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Administration in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great culture. Casual atmosphere, on-site gym, game room, cafeteria, etc. Lots to love about this place

Cons

The crazy year over year growth has caused much pain. Departments that need to be working closely together have followed their own growth paths without much coordination and now role confusion, communication breakdowns, and turf wars are common. Budgets have grown for some departments while other departments have had to sacrifice competitive pay and work-life balance for their team members.High performers are asked to take on additional training and management responsibilities but are not allocated the time to do so and may not see any increase in compensation for their new responsibilities.

We are trying to move too fast and are in danger of tripping over ourselves if we don't take a moment to reassess what we need to have in place internally to continue succeeding.

There are newer employer reviews for Interactive Intelligence

Worked for Interactive Intelligence? Contribute to the Community!