Intermountain Healthcare

Good company, bad department

Current Employee - Housekeeper  in  American Fork, UT
Current Employee - Housekeeper in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, bonuses, administration is very nice.

Cons

Department manager and supervisors are MONSTERS. At least within the housekeeping department at the AF hospital.

Needs to respect their employees, be more professional

176 Other Employee Reviews for Intermountain Healthcare (View Most Recent)

Overall, I enjoyed working at Intermountain Healthcare.

Former Employee - Teacher-Child Development Center  in  Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Teacher-Child Development Center in Logan, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare

Pros

Intermountain Healthcare provided excellent benefits and the Center Director was supportive of staff taking time off when necessary. The Director secured raises for the staff during my time.

Cons

Very little communication with supervisor. The teacher to child ratios are at state limit and center could be very crowded. No standard curriculum or discipline policy.

Meet with employees regularly to discuss performance and recognize achievements. The company culture was great and I felt supported by he company.

Next to Housekeeping, we have one of the hardest and most thankless jobs at our facility; but always do the best we can.

Current Employee - CP Tech IV Specialist, Central Processing  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - CP Tech IV Specialist, Central Processing in Provo, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare

Pros

We are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year so there is a shift for everyone. There are many friendly and good people to network with and work with - this includes doctors, nurses, various technicians, general hospital staff as well as some administrators. Our department always works for the best solutions for any problems and we strive to produce a high level of day to day work that we are responsible for the entire facility; even when some of those day to day functions should or could be achieved by other departments. Our facility, UVRMC, gives the best care possible in every area of medicine we can for the best cost possible in our state and contiues to work on doing things better with the best outcomes in mind (I know that sounds like corporate propoganda-but it is true).

Cons

We live in a world of corporate managers who have little to no concept of what work getting the best results entails. Most managers now have reports which they read and feel they have a true grasp and grip on the pulse of the daily work routines of all the various hospitals and departments. Budgets and most of the departments' expense planning come from these reports, Much of these managers live by their budgets (from which some to most of their bonuses are derieved from) and most seem to care about the bottom line: their salaries, status, future promotions and pleasing their bosses more than the department outcomes-personnel satisfaction and good morale. Intermountain Healthcare (formerly IHC) is very much a part of this corporate mentality.
    These fundamentals, good morale and satisfied personnel, needed to achieving those great outcomes management is always "striving" for seem to be lacking these days. Success comes off the backs of hardworking, dedicated employees working extra shifts or covering additional overtime because of lack of staff, insufficient number of quaiity staff-due to personnel quiting or reducing hours due to stress or dissatisfaction, or as of late, the failure or slowness to replace retiring, quitting or terminated individuals due to "pulling the budget back into line". The professionalism of those same individuals will not allow any negative outcomes to occur; managers and administrators know and understand this and use this to save money and their budgets.
    Prioritize and do what you can today and leave the remainder for the next shift or for tomorrow, we are after all a twenty-four hour department/facility and we have all the bodies we need for the work we have to do each day. Heaven help the next shift. . . .

We sometimes tell others they need to think outside the box, think outside your budgets once in a while. Sometimes we, your employees, see you, managers, bite the bullet a pay to have extra work accomplished because you have the foresight to recognize the need ahead of time before a situation can go from bad to a disaster. Other times you don't seem to care very much about the extra workload we, your employees, are having to go through so that you can achieve your "goals" for the year and look good for your boss. You will be surprised to know that we do understand budgets and the constraints they place on our departments. But sometimes overworking those "valued" and loyal employees has its limitations.
    I hear the phrase, "Be greatful you have a job Others would gladly do more than this for less money." This is very true, but here is a phrase that I would like to give in response - "Be greatful that most of us show for work everyday and don't leave you having to pay more money."

There are newer employer reviews for Intermountain Healthcare

Worked for Intermountain Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!